How Many Amps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should find that devices amperage draw and make sure your fuse/circuit is min 125% of that. for example if your light draws 20 amps, use minimum of 25amp circuit. i would personally use a 30 amp fuse/circuit. the battery/power connection and relay fuse is there to protect the line from a short. every sensitive electronic device will have a seperate specific fuse to protect the device itself and not part of the power connection. you never want to go over 75-80% of a circuits maximum. getting close to the maximum will cause heat issues as well as possible blown fuse due to start up power draw. and worse case scenario, melted wires/fire.

OP
OP
MDRAPTR

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should find that devices amperage draw and make sure your fuse/circuit is min 125% of that. for example if your light draws 20 amps, use minimum of 25amp circuit. i would personally use a 30 amp fuse/circuit. the battery/power connection and relay fuse is there to protect the line from a short. every sensitive electronic device will have a seperate specific fuse to protect the device itself and not part of the power connection. you never want to go over 75-80% of a circuits maximum. getting close to the maximum will cause heat issues as well as possible blown fuse due to start up power draw. and worse case scenario, melted wires/fire.
Appreciate that.. the emergency lighting I’m adding is anywhere from .25 amps & .50amps Per light. Trying to decide which Aux switch to hook up to