How important is hub-centric?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moridin

Reaction score
I've tried to order several Fuel Hostage wheels with part numbers (listed by Fuel) that indicate an 87.1 center bore, so the wheel would be hub centric. But I keep getting told they're not available. (Why they're listed then I don't get).

How important do you guys think this is? It seems like the best way, and would decrease chance of vibration and/or possible damage to the lugs, but obviously a lot of people are running Fuel wheels.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Moridin

Moridin

Reaction score
Popcorn? Uh oh... this a touchy subject? lol... I did a search but hardly found anything on the site about this.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No i'am just looking forward to hear what people have to say. i've heard the term but was wonder what the diff was also.

well look what i found.

Centerbore

The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the hole in the back of the wheel that centers it over the mounting hub of the car. Some factory wheels have a centerbore that matches exactly with the hub to reduce vibration by keeping the wheel centered. Wheels with the correct centerbore to the car they will be mounted on are known as hubcentric. Hubcentric wheels take the stress off the lug nuts, reducing the job of the lug nuts to center the wheel to the car. Wheels that are not hubcentric are known as lugcentric, as the job of centering is done by the lug nuts assuming they are properly torqued down.
Centerbore on aftermarket wheels must be equal to or greater than that of the hub, otherwise the wheel cannot be mounted on the car. Many aftermarket wheels come with "hubcentric rings" that lock or slide into the back of the wheel to adapt a wheel with a larger centerbore to a smaller hub.[3] These adapters are usually made of plastic but also in aluminum.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Not touchy at all, pretty simple really.

Technically, hub centric is best and "proper" for all vehicles. The lug studs aren't necessarily meant to withstand the type of shear force lug-centric wheels put on them. Lug studs are meant to hold the wheel to the hub, and the hub is meant to hold the weight of the vehicle and center the wheel.

That being said, I don't believe we have heard of anyone shearing off the lug nuts on a Raptor, which according to the logic above would seem surprising considering how many guys run aftermarket wheels like Methods that are not hub centric. Add to that what some people do to these trucks you would think the Raptor would be a prime candidate for shearing off lug studs.

If you want to go with the Fuel wheels and feel the need to make them hub centric, just get some of the hub spacers that are made for this exact reason. That would be the correct answer if doing things by the book with good automotive practices. If you want to rely on that fact that many Raptor owners have run lug-centric wheels without issue, I'd say you could do that with less, but ample confidence.

OP
OP
Moridin

Moridin

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Bird. If any truck would have a lug shearing issue, it'd be the Raptor.

I just got off the phone with Fuel, the guy said all their wheels come automatically with hub spacer rings. I verified it with him several times, so I'm gonna pull the trigger and order my set and assume he speaketh the truth.

Will update when they arrive. For whatever reason, I just feel better knowing the wheel is a tight fit to the hub. I put some aftermarket wheels on my previous F-150, and no amount of balancing ever got rid of the 55 mph+ shimmy. They were cheap wheels, so definitely lug centric, and I always thought that had something to do with it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Bird. If any truck would have a lug shearing issue, it'd be the Raptor.

I just got off the phone with Fuel, the guy said all their wheels come automatically with hub spacer rings. I verified it with him several times, so I'm gonna pull the trigger and order my set and assume he speaketh the truth.

Will update when they arrive. For whatever reason, I just feel better knowing the wheel is a tight fit to the hub. I put some aftermarket wheels on my previous F-150, and no amount of balancing ever got rid of the 55 mph+ shimmy. They were cheap wheels, so definitely lug centric, and I always thought that had something to do with it.

It's doubtful that the lug centric aspect had anything to do with the shimmy. If they were cheap wheels they could have had flat spots, or just been plain out of balance. Conventional balancing machines can take care of balancing to an extent, even if it means using a ton of weight. Do yourself a favor and have your new setup Road Force Balanced. those machines can account for high/low spots in the wheels and tires and will ultimately balance them better too with less weight.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lug centric will shear much easier than hub centric & are much harder to "center" with the lugs.

I mounted the toyo m/t's on my truck myself, threw 10 oz of dyna beads in & they are as smooth as glass at 80mph