How do you protect your paint when off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of narrow parts around here with desert plant thorns. I bring leather gloves, and small and large pruning shears. That and I have a ton of desert pinstripes now on the flares and some on the paint. Oh well.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm really digging the magnetic vinyl idea. But...aren't the fenders composite and the other outer panels aluminum?

Yes but you could use the same removable duct tape to keep the protective skin on the Raptor. But it'd be a LOT of work to cut the pieces and tape them on.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 14 has been through tons of tight Colorado trails where it got tons of surface scratches. It also has pre ran the Baja 1000 twice and had a few trips from CO to NY to FL and back.

Had 90,000 miles on it when I traded it a month ago. Got 35,000 on trade. Only paid 49,500 for it.

$14,500 for 90K miles and surface scratches....I’ll let the new one get scratched, at that trade in price it’s not worth worrying about.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent $3500 to wrap + ceramic coat the truck.. I am going to beat it up and not care, and in a couple years change to another wrap. Cheap fun!

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just called the number for magnetic material company mentioned above... they do not have this product anymore. However, I saw a Jeep that had clear 3M product on the doors. The guy did it himself, you can hardly tell there was film. He takes it off road a lot. That's probably the way to go.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I just called the number for magnetic material company mentioned above... they do not have this product anymore. However, I saw a Jeep that had clear 3M product on the doors. The guy did it himself, you can hardly tell there was film. He takes it off road a lot. That's probably the way to go.

I just went to the Pocono Mountains with a bunch of Jeeps and one Raptor about 4 weeks ago and of course ended up on narrow trails. The aftermath was tons of pinstripes on a black truck. Uhhh Thank God I have in house detail guy that is awesome. Greg spent about 10 hours between wet sanding, buffing and polishing my truck. No swirl marks, he was able to get all of them out.....The paint looks phenomenal now, but I do not want another repeat of this. The bed sides graphics are the only places that give it away. lol

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash and wax it before you go offroad, it'll help.

Smoother surface to rub against = less scratches

D

Deleted member 12951

Graphic or single color wrap from Rappy graphics or Xpel that self heals is about the only way. They stand up to branches scraping up against it.

I wish I spent the money up front, mine had been buffed out a couple times and not enough clear left. Now its off-road scars, watcha goin do...

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 58