When do you replace your tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everytime you drive your truck the heat put into the tires cause them to get harder. Sometimes the lack of grip at the end of life is a bigger deal than the tread depth.

I've replaced 2 different sets of tires that simply aged out- there was tons of tread left because the rubber had become so hard with age that they never wore. They consequently had zero grip as well. One set was so bad I could light them up in the dry from a 30 MPH roll in a FWD Ford Edge. It could barely get itself up a steep hill from a stop in the rain. Any kind of emergency moves or braking would have been impossible. Sometimes it's not about squeezing out the last 5K miles to save $100.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything thats been said. Driving on bad tires is just not a good idea and you're gonna spend 2K regardless if its today or in 6 months so might as well spend the money before something "exciting" happens. Looking back, in 2016 i bought 4 Nitto Trail Grapplers and 4 Method wheels and it cost $1800 for everything. 2023, 4 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are 2K. Its crazy how much more expensive everything is. Guess i'm lucky i bought wheels when they were 1/4 of the price.