How did you come to afford your raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
So I know its too personal a question for some, but I've always wondered:

For myself, my family has owned a smallish collision repair facility for decades. Business is good, but money comes in and out so rapidly that I don't consider any of us rich by a long shot, it always gets reinvested in equipment. My wages fluctuate between 70 and 90k, for managing the shop (and putting in 60+ hrs per week). I've been getting burned out badly lately between insurance companies, employees, and family drama; and have thought of doing a complete industry change. But this is my first and only job I've held, and worry about a massive drop in pay for starting fresh somewhere else.

I know some raptor owners use family money or inherited money - you don't count in this thread lol. But for those of you that have been successful enough in your career to own a $75k truck....what do you do?

C_Erwin_78

Reaction score
For me, I retired from the Navy just under 4 years ago so I get a decent pension for E7, and I have VA disability. Most of that pays for the house and connected bills. My main money is in the defense contracting biz where I get to take yearly trips to beautiful and austere shitholes for 4 months and support snake eaters as they do what most kids will ever only see in a video game. It's enough to pay off debt that my wife accrues during the year.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worked in the electronics industry for a while, then started my own company, built it up, and sold it to a big company. If you think 60+ hour weeks are bad, start your own company. 100+ hour weeks were SOP for two years. With no income. Then it dropped off to the normal 60+ with a below average income. We lived off my wife's $20k salary in a little old house that was paid for. It worked out in the end, but it was an exciting ride and it could easily have ended in tears.

MG21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to work as a rep in the oil and gas industry. We're a service company with a unique tech, after a few short years and hard work....Im the regional sales manager making a very nice income. I still can't believe where I am today and very cautious about money and purchases. My company basically pays my payment and gas.

MG21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid about 6-8k more than I would have a new Lariat...vehicles aren't cheap anymore. Been boat shopping lately? I was willing to spend more because it holds its value a bit more than a regular truck. My price was $66k, i just couldn't spend over $70 out of conscience.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I own a Gen 1 now so maybe I don't count, but I had a Gen 2 before lol.

I work in O&G so I worked a 21 and 7 shift for a year to buy my Gen 2.