How about Amsoil 0W-40 Signature Fully Synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Hey guys I searched the threads on oil, but most were old.

I know the recommended oil is 5W-30 synthetic, But it seems like the Amsoil 0W-40 would be even better.

0 weight for better flow at start-up (gets down to low 30's/high 20's where I'm at), yet has the 40 wt for hotter temps (again, gets up to 115 degrees here in CA, and I do plan on towing a trailer)

Any reason this wouldn't be a better way to go?

thanks

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...00-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AZFQT-EA

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When oils get that thin, you have to start paying attention to maximum temperatures. If it is 110 out, how thinned out will your 0w-40 get?

Oh, and 20-30 isn't cold.

I used 0w-30 caterpillar arctic engine oil in my powerstroke one year. It started awesome, but cat recommends no higher than 86F.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you’re concerned about the warranty, one thing you should be looking at is does the oil have an API certification. some of the amsoil do not, and while they may be awesome, if you have a hard part failure and a bunch of maintenance receipts showing use of a non approved part, in this case oil, they can absolutely deny warranty coverage for it. The F150 manual makes a thing of the certification, ~page 325

"Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC)."

p394
"use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark."

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smurf - all of their signature line oils are certified API SN Plus

Not so. The OE series are certified, but the Signature series is not. Of course, the Signature series passes the test, and exceeds the performance of the OE series, but Amsoil did not certify them because it wants the ability to tinker with the recipe and certification would lock it in. That said, I run the Signature series and I don’t worry about it because I don’t think there is any way Ford could attribute failure to using this oil. It’s great stuff, and everyone knows it.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They pass (and exceed) the tests, and are recommended for applications requiring the certification, but they are not formally certified, and don’t have the certification on the label.