How about Amsoil 0W-40 Signature Fully Synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John Rathjen

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Im just thinking of cold startups where most engine wear occurs. I would think 0 wt is better there.

19Stripper

Reaction score
We typically have a week or two of subzero nighttime temps around here every year and a month or so in the 90s. 5w-30 is fine. Dont overthink it. Use what is recommended. Just let the truck warm up before pinning the firewall with your toes. (regardless of temp)

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
Hey guys I searched the threads on oil, but most were old.

I know the recommended oil is 5W-30 synthetic, But it seems like the Amsoil 0W-40 would be even better.

0 weight for better flow at start-up (gets down to low 30's/high 20's where I'm at), yet has the 40 wt for hotter temps (again, gets up to 115 degrees here in CA, and I do plan on towing a trailer)

Any reason this wouldn't be a better way to go?

I would recommend premium synthetics like Red Line or Royal Purple - they have API certified 5w-30 that meets Ford specs. I run Red Line in all my vehicles and have for years. Amsoil may be ok but having been involved in NHRA, AHDRA, & NASCAR racing, pretty much all the race teams I was with used Red Line.

OP
OP
John Rathjen

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Well this is straight from the horse's mouth:

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question.

Ford calls for an engine oil specification of WSS-M2C946-, they also attach the spec to the oil weight. So our 0w-40 will not meet this specification that Ford calls for so a lot of times they can use that as a reason to deny warranty coverage.

I would recommend using our 0w-30 if you want to improve the cold starting capabilities, but then it will still meet the specification Ford lists because it is a 30 weight.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Thank you,
AMSOIL Technical Services
Tech Line: 715-399-8324
Email: [email protected]