Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic Oil - Great Value!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw that Costco is now selling Kirkland Signature (their private label) full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

They are selling a 5 quart 2-pack for $26.99 - that's $2.69 a quart.

I've used Mobil1 for years - I've used nothing else. I always buy it while it's on MVM for $28.69 ($10 off) for 6 quarts - that's $4.78 a quart.

Their KS oil meets or exceeds all Ford requirements, including API SN Plus certification.

I'm seriously thinking about switching as this is a bargain at $2.69 a quart. Has anyone used this stuff yet?

imageService-2.jpeg

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil is not a place where I bargain shop. With that being said, most of the Kirkland products, that I'm aware of, are of pretty good quality. I'm sticking with the known major brands for engine oil though.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, OldFart, I see nothing wrong with using crushed bat heads in my Raptor... but only if they're from China... no US based bats for me.

In all seriousness, I did a little research and Kirkland Signature brand oil is made here in the US by Warren Distribution. They're the largest producer of private label motor oil in the United States. Some speculate that good ole trusted Amsoil is made by Warren. But that's a tightly guarded secret. LOL

I'm really thinking about giving this stuff a try. While I agree that an oil change isn't the place to skimp, I've been a Costco (Price Club prior to that) member for 30+ years. If there's one private label brand I trust, it's Costco's Kirkland Signature.

D

Deleted member 17706

For the record, OldFart, I see nothing wrong with using crushed bat heads in my Raptor... but only if they're from China... no US based bats for me.

In all seriousness, I did a little research and Kirkland Signature brand oil is made here in the US by Warren Distribution. They're the largest producer of private label motor oil in the United States. Some speculate that good ole trusted Amsoil is made by Warren. But that's a tightly guarded secret. LOL

I'm really thinking about giving this stuff a try. While I agree that an oil change isn't the place to skimp, I've been a Costco (Price Club prior to that) member for 30+ years. If there's one private label brand I trust, it's Costco's Kirkland Signature.

I am a huge Costco fan—you don’t want to know how much money I spend with them yearly. They have had that oil for a couple of months. Given the labeling, I have had the suspicion that AMSOIL makes the oil too because it looks awfully similar—it is not the same as their signature series oil.

The oil performs really good in the above test for what it is. As much as I am a Costco fan though, I am a big believer in AMSOIL too. I have a wholesale account and normally pay $8.90 (or so) per quart for their signature series. I run the AMSOIL on 10k mile intervals after initial break in period.

The couple bucks in savings isn’t worth it to me to switch oils. But it would be interesting to run the Costco oil from day one of ownership and track the results over the life of the vehicle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Change your oil, send in the mobil 1 for analysis, Run kirkland for a cycle and send it out for oil analysis. Compare, would be good science for all of us.

Ya, it would be nice to know who makes it. A UOA would be good too.

Never know, it might be good chit.

In the video, he does an oil analysis on the Kirkland after running it in his own vehicle and gives a break down of the other oils that he has ran. The numbers are impressive. Most of the numbers aren’t that far off from the Signature Series AMSOIL.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the video, he does an oil analysis on the Kirkland after running it in his own vehicle and gives a break down of the other oils that he has ran. The numbers are impressive. Most of the numbers aren’t that far off from the Signature Series AMSOIL.

I’ll check it out.

Edit: I watched the video and it’s got some really good numbers. You can’t beat the price.

Of course, it’s not available online in Canada. I’ll have to check the store but I don’t recall seeing it a week ago.

Last edited:

Bigfoot15d

Reaction score
I've been using Amsoil and their oil filters since 1976 in all my Ford vehicles. Wouldn't use anything else. My Ford Expedition now has 302,000 miles on it and engine is still in great shape. Sure Amsoil is about $50/gallon but their extended drain intervals of 24,000 miles or 1 year, or 15,000 miles for turbocharged vehicles makes it worthwhile, plus it is proven to minimize wear. Many of the wind turbine manufacturers have also switched to Amsoil in their gearboxes as they were having failures after a year..now they are not.