Horrible suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my suspension electronics is damaged. My raptor has 8000 km on it and this weekend i went out little for an unpaved road. But... that suspension ... is the worst i ever seen in any existing car. I was with 28 psi rear an 32 front. The warning light or low pressure was on. I am sure something need to adjust or is damaged. It can't be like that from the factory. Is like the car will fall apart in 1000 pieces. It is any adjustment? I have no warranty, european user here.
Thx.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
is it non compliant? There was a service bulletin for the Raptors early on that have the Live valve shocks and harsh ride. I’ve heard that when they have a fault or diagnostic code, they suspension “defaults” to full stiff. I have a 2017 with the ‘dumb’ Fox shocks, no electronics.

try to better describe what you don’t like. Remember, the Raptor is a truck with big “balloon” like tires, and suspension with over 1 foot of travel. The truck’s focus is going fast on sand. It sounds like you may have been on “washboard” dirt roads, which give every vehicle fits.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The road was almost similar with the photo shows but much more bumps. Bumps all over many many of them. Not so big but many. The whole car was shaking, the tires loose the grip/contact and almost was no control on the direction. I tried faster, slower but same shake, very stiff suspension and like a tire jumping like a ball.
Today i put on sport mode and the suspension get stiffer. I think that means the electronics is not damaged.
How and what should i check. I was so happy with this car, but now.... disappointed totally.
I must try much lower tire pressure, but the 28 psi should be enough low. Not for a perfect off roading but at least to be able to drive on unpaved road. a3c34f7f11e08bf373c1acba43f9c02e.jpg

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the surface (hard to know from your picture without driving it) this sounds like it could be normal. I have a 2018 with the dumb shocks. I find them very capable on road and on most off-road surfaces. On pavement or packed dirt with small bumps at high frequency it will do what you're describing, where the wheels are barely making contact with the ground and the truck floats around or suddenly loses traction (your tires are literally in the air at times as they skip off the bumps).

Something could be wrong but it's plausible that you're on just the kind of surface that does this. The Raptor deals better with large bumps or undulations in the road, and not so well with high-frequency small bumps.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the surface (hard to know from your picture without driving it) this sounds like it could be normal. I have a 2018 with the dumb shocks. I find them very capable on road and on most off-road surfaces. On pavement or packed dirt with small bumps at high frequency it will do what you're describing, where the wheels are barely making contact with the ground and the truck floats around or suddenly loses traction (your tires are literally in the air at times as they skip off the bumps).

Something could be wrong but it's plausible that you're on just the kind of surface that does this. The Raptor deals better with large bumps or undulations in the road, and not so well with high-frequency small bumps.
Yes, small bumps with high frequency. I tought the live valve is somehow to adjust the suspension for different terrain. And it is as you describe. (My english does not allow me to describe properly). Can i do something? Adjustment? Forscan? Anything?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Stock tires? At those pressures you would think it would be pretty smooth. Are you getting the psi from the dash or a tire gauge? Maybe try another gauge?

Maybe toggle off your traction control?

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock tires? At those pressures you would think it would be pretty smooth. Are you getting the psi from the dash or a tire gauge? Maybe try another gauge?

Maybe toggle off your traction control?
Pressure from tire gauge and dash. All stock.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, small bumps with high frequency. I tought the live valve is somehow to adjust the suspension for different terrain. And it is as you describe. (My english does not allow me to describe properly). Can i do something? Adjustment? Forscan? Anything?

Your live valve control is designed to adjust to surface conditions but there are limits, and some conditions the setup just can't cope with. I'd try even less tire pressure. Think about what you're asking of the suspension with a high frequency surface like that... If you use a firm setting you don't have enough travel you're going to skip over the tops. If you use a soft setting your tires are going to bounce off the ruts and bumps and you still get your tires floating in the air. More give in the tire may help absorb the bouncy surface but that terrain may just not be conducive to fast driving without losing traction. Try hitting some pot holes in the road or some sudden larger bumps. If it feels like it's not absorbing the impacts properly you may have a problem. If it seems fine, it's probably just that you're asking it to perform on a surface it's not going to perform on.