Hi-Lift Jacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I set out to try again but didn't. I tested my improvised chocks and I ended up not at all confident in their ability to hold. We definately will need some serious chocks for these tires.

Here are some I ran across. Have not used them, though:
http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=462

large_462_ORTT_Dirt_test_27.jpg

I also jacked up the front driver tire (using a hydraulic jack) and verified it spun freely in 4x2, ebrake on. I then lowered back down, engaged 4x4hi, drove around a bit, engaged the ebrake and relifted. Our trucks do indeed stay locked in 4x4 when shut down. However, I was able to spin the tire approx 6" before hearing the tcase bind and stop the wheel from spinning. I rolled it back and forth several times to be sure; there's a good 6" of play in there before lockup.

I am fairly confident the Raptor uses the same shifting system used in all Ford shift-on-the-fly t-cases. They use an electric motor to turn a shaft with an acme screw type drive to move the shift fork back and forth. It takes a couple of seconds for it to shift and the only time the motor drives is when the switch on the dash changes position. As an aside, if the motor goes out, you can usually remove it and turn the end of the shaft with a pair of vice grips.

Here is a pic of the shaft (out of a BW 4405 t-case):
DSCN7272.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok the mounts came in. Got 'em on:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Its pretty cool the way it mounts up there. Seems really solid. And I like how its out of the driver's view.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got your wheel chocks right here. Well, they gottem:

ORTT-WheelChock.jpg

$99 each (so it says).

Tucson, AZ, July, 2009 -- Off Road Trail Tools announces the release of their exclusive
Wheel Chocks designed with the latest technology and safety as the first priority. The new line is available now at www.offroadtrailtools.com

“Since gravity isn’t always our friend, we’ve incorporated hours of engineering, design and testing to ensure our wheel chocks provide the best grip, whether on an incline, decline, pavement or dirt,” says owner, Tat Marcy. “These aren’t your typical wheel chocks.”

These original ORTT Wheel Chocks are designed with unique tooling to produce friction to grip dirt and other surfaces. Additional holding strength can be obtained by using simple tent stakes. Tested using Finite Element Analysis (FEA), 3D Deflection, strain and stress analysis, Off Road Trail Tools’ wheel chocks give you the ultimate safety features not found on any other wheel chock.

Extensively tested, the ORTT Wheel Chocks can be unfolded and laid out horizontally to double as a traction device in a sticky situation. Light-weight yet strong material allows the wheel chocks to be used while winching. Equipped with stainless steel hardware, these non-rusting, non-sparking chocks are the only choice when it comes to your safety, the safety of others and your vehicle. Designed to be compatible with today’s off-road tire sizes, the ORTT Wheel Chocks are collapsible for easy transport.

The ORTT Wheel Chocks (part #5008) are currently available at offroadtrailtools.com for $99.95.

Off Road Trail Tools is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative tool ideas for prevention and repair for a wide-range of off-road applications. Off Road Trail Tools is committed to delivering vehicle dependent expedition reliability.

Off Road Trail Tools
7099 W Hutchs Pools Place
Tucson, AZ 85743
Phone. 520.579.2079
Fax. 520.579.2080
Web: www.offroadtrailtools.com
Email: [email protected]

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And here's another one but it's on the Chock-a-Grande size if you know what I mean:

AG083-3001.jpg

This new folding aluminum wheel chock requires only a 6"H x 101/2"W x 203/8"D area for storage. Can be stored under fire or rescue vehicles. The collapsible design allows the chock to lock in the open position simply by pulling out the back casting and pushing down. Just release the safety latch to close back to the folding position again. Convenient carrying handle makes transport and placement of chock a snap. Made of high tensile strength aluminum with rear opening, hand grip and a double row of rugged teeth to grip almost any surface. Meets applicable NFPA standards. Ship. wt. 20 lbs.

Link: www.edarley.com/finditem/15579

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, split that off into a new thread. Thats some good info (and options) regarding chocks. Deserves its own discussion.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Falcon, maybe fire up a new thread as well. Stands also deserve their own topic. Especially if you're potentially kicking off a project regarding them.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Harbor Freight:

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]2 Piece Steel Wheel Chocks[/FONT]

97429.gif

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Durable all steel construction
  • Nonslip surface for maximum friction
  • Lightweight[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Overall dimensions: 9" L x 8" W x 5" H; Face dimensions: 8" W x 8-3/4" H
Net weight: 4.22 lbs. (pair)
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 97429-1VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$9.99[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Solid Rubber Wheel Chock[/FONT]

96479.gif

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • All-weather construction for reliable performance in any climate
  • Nonslip surface provides superior traction
  • Oil resistant
  • Lightweight
  • Rubber traction pad[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Base size: 7-3/4" x 3-31/32"; Wheel contact: 7-1/2" L x 3-57/64" W; 45° slope angle; Chock height: 5-7/8"; Handle: 5-5/8" L x 1-5/16" W x 1" H
Weight: 4.7 lbs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 96479-0VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] $9.99 [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$7.99

[/FONT]
They have a few more here, http://tinyurl.com/ykupwbw including a foldable one. I think a Raptor would mash those in a heartbeat though.

97130.gif

These are only for tires up to 26" but they give you the idea.

Falcon
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Falcon, maybe fire up a new thread as well. Stands also deserve their own topic. Especially if you're potentially kicking off a project regarding them.

Sounds good to me Jason, can you wave your magic Admonistrator wand? <G>

Falcon

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good to me Jason, can you wave your magic Admonistrator wand? <G>

Falcon
Hah nah. Just go ahead and copy/paste into a new thread. That way its your content and your thread.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From experience (no this not my jeep):

1) T-case in 4-lo
2) Ebrake applied
3) Wheels chocked indirection of vehicle roll
4) Lift only one corner
5) Better to use a bottle jack on the axle - don't have to wait for the suspension to uncompress
6) Use a jack base - either the fancy ones or a 1'x1'x1" board
7) Jack on something that can support the vehicle weight

Then you can do trick stuff like this with 3 highlifts & 2 bottle jacks when your jeep shears off it's wheel studs:
img4820copyco2.jpg

This time we used the jack base to stop the bottle jack sinking in the dirt. This is after running Isham Canyon.

Andy

PS take the highlift off the front. Someone *will* walk into the ends and not be happy. If it's going to be on the front, it needs to be behind the line of the bumper.