HELP!!! Is the NAVIGATION really worth $2,500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy the nav system with prejudice. Here's my thinking:
- I like maps a lot and can read them well. I do not get lost. But if I did, I personally believe that the possibility of getting a little turned around is what makes adventure travel adventurous.
- You can use a map in the other car, on the motorcycle, when hiking, etc. Portability is a virtue.
- Maps are not dependent upon a software geek in Malasia or a Ford engineer in Deerborn. They are, in fact, foolproof compared to an electronic navigation system.
- With the 2011 model year you had to buy the luxury package in order to spend more money to get the nav system. A luxury package on any truck is a little hard for me to understand, on a 4x4 is very hard to understand, and on a high performance 4x4 designed to go at high speed over open off-road country strikes me as utter lunacy.
- I do not spend $5 on a shirt that I don't like, so I sure as hell wouldn't spend $1,500 on a luxury package that I don't want.
- Then there's the $1,000+ on the nav system that replaces the $6.95 map.

OK, so I've got 10,000 miles on the truck and I've driven it over 12,000 foot elevation passes in the Colorado Rockies. Do I now regret the decision I made at the time of purchase?

NO.

Its not about having a digital "map" for $2500..

can your $6 map tell you the location of nearby fuel stations when your "low fuel" light comes on?, and of course, your map will tell you the directions, and current fuel prices, right?

Can the map catalog your music and play it back via the screen? Can it give you a 5 day weather forecast where you are, or even where you are headed? Current Radar conditions? Nearest Ford dealership? Coffee shop?

Restaurants on your route? Schools? Gov buildings? hotels? and of course it includes all the addresses and phone numbers too right?

(jk).

I'm not knocking the value of a map OR the Nav system, but if you do not get your hands around the potential of the system, then its "just a map".

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted it but you know tsunami's. Anyway I thought about what I could do for 2500 instead of Nav and came up with the following.

Heated my garage with a 7500KW - 25000BTU Electric forced air heater
Insulated my garage doors
Purchased a IPAD 2 for my Raptor
Bought the RAM mounts for my truck from another thread
Bought a 32" Sony Google TV and all direction mount for the garage
Husky rechargable LED work light

Total cost = $1870.00

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded my 2010 for an 11 screw with nav. The short answer is **** YES its worth it.

Bad company

Reaction score
I wanted it but you know tsunami's. Anyway I thought about what I could do for 2500 instead of Nav and came up with the following.

Heated my garage with a 7500KW - 25000BTU Electric forced air heater
Insulated my garage doors
Purchased a IPAD 2 for my Raptor
Bought the RAM mounts for my truck from another thread
Bought a 32" Sony Google TV and all direction mount for the garage
Husky rechargable LED work light

Total cost = $1870.00

Sensible man makes sense.

Charley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a voice activated 5.5" magellan Nav with Lifetime traffic and map updates at costco for $229 .... my wife has an ecoboost flex with Nav and she swore I would regret not getting Nav in my raptor... my poor wife... wrong again ;)

badger

Reaction score
i used the $2500 to buy
iphone 4s
an ipad 2 for each kid (3x600)
an ipad 2 for my wife.

so all can have an ipad in any vehicle we choose. i don't live in a city and have no need for navigation. i can tell you where every gas station and food source is in the county. if i lived in chicago or a large city i would probably get it. if not, my iphone 4s works great for finding anything i need and i take it with me everywhere. the ipad 2 is even better for navigation with its large screen. i think the nav in all cars is way overpriced - big markup.

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not just the nav guys, its the upgraded speakers, the backup camera screen, the juke box feature (uploading a cd and it burns it to the hard drive, its ability to work sync

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not just the nav guys, its the upgraded speakers, the backup camera screen, the juke box feature (uploading a cd and it burns it to the hard drive, its ability to work sync

And a big thing for me, traffic and weather

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the intergration, and the WOW factor is worth it for me.. It looks great, work good (except the hicups with sync and android) doesnt look cobbled together like aftermarket indash nav system...
Plus, if you leave ipad, garmin, etc sitting in your truck. More chance of smash and grab..