HELP!!! Is the NAVIGATION really worth $2,500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
All the intergration, and the WOW factor is worth it for me.. It looks great, work good (except the hicups with sync and android) doesnt look cobbled together like aftermarket indash nav system...
Plus, if you leave ipad, garmin, etc sitting in your truck. More chance of smash and grab..

Yeah I've had many stereos stolen out of vehicles in the past, and not one of them has been OEM. It's a possibility since people see a big screen in the middle of my dash, but I think it's probably worth a lot less to them than the aftermarket equivalent.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I've had many stereos stolen out of vehicles in the past, and not one of them has been OEM. It's a possibility since people see a big screen in the middle of my dash, but I think it's probably worth a lot less to them than the aftermarket equivalent.
I think it's because the OEM system would already be installed if the costumer wanted it. If they didn't want it, they'd either go aftermarket or without one at all. Therefore, the market for aftermarket will outweigh OEM hence the reason why the greater likelihood of getting your shit smashed and ripped out if you have aftermarket.

joek35

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true

Thats so true. People don't care. I was in Ft Worth doing training for weatherford oct 31 and nov 1 my truck was broke into at the holaiday in express there in ft worth off i20. My truck a ladys Hummer the hotel behind us got hit with one care and the one across from us had five broke into. It really sucks the only thing they took out the truck was the pair of jl 8's under the seat. Broke the driver back door window.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i used the $2500 to buy
iphone 4s
an ipad 2 for each kid (3x600)
an ipad 2 for my wife.

so all can have an ipad in any vehicle we choose. i don't live in a city and have no need for navigation. i can tell you where every gas station and food source is in the county. if i lived in chicago or a large city i would probably get it. if not, my iphone 4s works great for finding anything i need and i take it with me everywhere. the ipad 2 is even better for navigation with its large screen. i think the nav in all cars is way overpriced - big markup.

wait wait wait.... you bought 4 ipad 2's and an iphone 4s.... and you complain about things being overpriced?!?! :ROFLJest:

but seriously, sure where your at it might be fine, but for road trips to have it all there, not worrying about chargers (OMG anytime i go anywhere with my sisters family and my 2 9 and 10 yr old nephews, the chargers are always missing and its a huge production to find them), you can leave your music on to hear the directions and again, lets not forget about the back up camera. you cant jack your camera into an ipad. and now you have to carry these things around with you, i know their not big, but its added stuff.

badger

Reaction score
wait wait wait.... you bought 4 ipad 2's and an iphone 4s.... and you complain about things being overpriced?!?! :ROFLJest:

but seriously, sure where your at it might be fine, but for road trips to have it all there, not worrying about chargers (OMG anytime i go anywhere with my sisters family and my 2 9 and 10 yr old nephews, the chargers are always missing and its a huge production to find them), you can leave your music on to hear the directions and again, lets not forget about the back up camera. you cant jack your camera into an ipad. and now you have to carry these things around with you, i know their not big, but its added stuff.

the truck has regular outlets in the back - just need 2 chargers - keep them there.

i use the ipad for navigation on trips. really don't use much on those either as i just memorize the map. again, if i was going to big cities things would be different. i know my way around the 3 biggest cities in our state (WI). don't find any need for voice directions - i would rather read the map anyway to be sure it is not sending me on a wild goose chase - i love hearing stories from my parents about where they ended up. i used to run parts all over the midwest for my father's construction company and i guess that taught me how to memorize a map. one trip to inner city chicago would have gone a lot easier if i had a nav at that time (1980's)- map was wrong - guy in the next car pointed a gun at me at the red light and then they all started laughing at the 16 kid in the big red construction truck.

anyway - i work with computers every day, have what most would call crazy expensive audio equipment at home (mcintosh labs), and i am sure the markup on the nav systems is high just like my audio equipment. a lot more goes into producing 4 ipad 2's and an iphone 4s than a single nav unit with the crappy paper woofer speakers they send with it. i bet they pay sony around $800 for the whole system. also - i have the backup camera in my rear-view mirror - i prefer that anyway so i don't have to look down when i back up. the quality on the raptor of both nav and mirror camera is poor. my 08 superduty was a lot more clear.

the beauty of capitalism is each can pick what they want to spend their greenbacks on! just depends on how much you use the nav.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the truck has regular outlets in the back - just need 2 chargers - keep them there.

i use the ipad for navigation on trips. really don't use much on those either as i just memorize the map. again, if i was going to big cities things would be different. i know my way around the 3 biggest cities in our state (WI). don't find any need for voice directions - i would rather read the map anyway to be sure it is not sending me on a wild goose chase - i love hearing stories from my parents about where they ended up. i used to run parts all over the midwest for my father's construction company and i guess that taught me how to memorize a map. one trip to inner city chicago would have gone a lot easier if i had a nav at that time (1980's)- map was wrong - guy in the next car pointed a gun at me at the red light and then they all started laughing at the 16 kid in the big red construction truck.

anyway - i work with computers every day, have what most would call crazy expensive audio equipment at home (mcintosh labs), and i am sure the markup on the nav systems is high just like my audio equipment. a lot more goes into producing 4 ipad 2's and an iphone 4s than a single nav unit with the crappy paper woofer speakers they send with it. i bet they pay sony around $800 for the whole system. also - i have the backup camera in my rear-view mirror - i prefer that anyway so i don't have to look down when i back up. the quality on the raptor of both nav and mirror camera is poor. my 08 superduty was a lot more clear.

the beauty of capitalism is each can pick what they want to spend their greenbacks on! just depends on how much you use the nav.

This is true... That is the beauty of this country. The freedom of choice, and sometimes opinions.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score

im also into computers, and i find it funny when people talk about overspending then say they have apple products. no offense if you love it then you love it! i just got a Toshiba Thrive, cost me $480 with overnight shipping and 32 GB of ram. only thing it doesnt have is 3g. but it does have a full USB port more storage, also a full SD Card slot for more storage, a full HDMI port (not mini) to hook up to a tv, and a user replaceable battery. and the 3g part... my Droid phone i got over a year ago for less then $80 i can use as a wireless hotspot anywhere i have cell coverage. /end my pissing match :birgits_tiredcoffee

and again on reading a map... thats cool, it definatly is a dying art.... i took a Police Dispatchers test in Wisconsin not long ago, and in my interview they asked what i felt about the map part, and i was like easy, not a problem.... its a map... it asks what county does these roads intersect in and you follow the road and oh here it is... simple! they all blinked at me and said i was the first person ever to not get frustrated with it... and the map and directions part of the NAV is just a small portion of it.... you can load up all your music to it, the weather and real time radar, dvd player and i can tell you that the sub that comes with it is much nicer then you think. now does it match up to the 2 JL Audio 10's, 6.5" component Rockford Fosgates and MTX Blue Thunder amp i had in one of my old trucks? hell no! but it sounds much better and louder then just about any stock stereo ive heard.

so if your happy with what you got, then by all means! but if your gonna compare a map and an iphone to the Nav System..... thats like comparing a Ford Fiesta to the Raptor... yes they are both gonna get you from point A to point B. But one is just that much cooler! :waytogo:

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the nav gave me a ******** this morning. dont know if thats normal, just putting it out there.