Hauling trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of scary advice in this thread.

Appears the loaded trailer is ~7500-8000 lbs with all those accessories. You need 10% of that as tongue weight.

Advertised tow ratings shown above are for a weight distributing hitch, not just a ball mount stuck into your receiver. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for a WD assembly, then learn how to properly set it up.

For a 1-time tow, you would likely be better served towing with something larger or working delivery into the purchase. Good luck...

image98

Reaction score
I have an enclosed race car hauler that also weighs about 3,900 pounds. At first, I felt squat was an issue with the Raptor, but once I installed a weight distribution and anti sway hitch, the truck commanded the trailer much better. I also have a Helwig rear sway bar installed. If towing over 5k, in my opinion, a weight distribution hitch is a must for a stock Raptor.

Cliff Lohner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 28 ft. Magic boat that I tow with my SCREW. Boat, trailer, fuel, and all on the boat I’m around 6500 lbs. I know boats are a little easier to tow since it’s balanced out on the trailer but my truck pulls mine with zero issues....

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haul a 3000lb trailer loaded with tow Harleys (add 1600lb) three people add (450 lb) plus a bed full of firewood (add 800 lb) at speed, no issues at all! But Ive got an airbag system under my SCREWCAB so about 5800 lb total

Without the airbags it would squat to about 1" off the tires (then you'd have a stability and safety issue.

The truck has the power to pull it
The truck has a strong enough rear to support it
The stock rear suspension is set up for desert jumping and wont support any kind of tongue weight or bed loading without squatting real LOW!

Sure, youll have the number quoters tell you it wont but it will (and Safely too if bagged)

Reaction score
Agree with Renomaan on the airbags. Have them on our F-250 Super Duty 6.7 diesel and when we hook up our rv, 7500lbs. empty, I put about 50 psi in them and it levels things out nicely. Had to buy the F-250 because my 2010 Raptor is too small and light to haul something that heavy safely. Still have the Raptor of course, it just gets to stay home in the safe, warm garage when we travel.

MotoXKing

Reaction score
Pic is of a 4,000 lb dump trailer ( no stabilizers ) with Electric breaks 3,000 lb in it and another 350 lb in the bed with no passengers. Quite a bit of squat but I could have adjusted the tongue weight a bit more. I have used this trailer with my 14 crew cab and now my 18 super cab with no issues.
This girl has to earn her keep !3D93EE27-BBDD-4EB1-BB2F-8E8BAD433144.jpeg

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a Uhaul 10x6x16' twin axle box trailer cross country with mine from Tennessee to Las Vegas, 2,800 miles in 4 days. The trailer was full to roof with furniture and boxes maybe 5k to 6k pounds. Load balancing is critical. A little more weight in front (10% more) is needed. That weight will determine Tongue Load. Yea, she will squat a little in back but not bad enough where people were flashing their highbeams at me at night.

Because I packed the boxes after the furniture and they were the last thing into the trailer, I had too much weight at the back of the trailer. Because of limited time I didn't repack the trailer to put the boxes over the axles. This caused trailer sway beteeen 55 and 70 MPH. The Raptor's Sway Control worked flawlessly. It alternately applies each side of rear brakes to stop sway. If that doesn't work it will apply full brakes and slow you down to about 50 mph. I don't recommend trying this. Semi's were eyeballing me when the trailer was wagging.

Trailering Lessons Learned:

1. Load balance trailer correctly.
2. Install a Weight Distributing Hitch which, for the most part eliminates trailer sway and wagging.
3 . Use the Raptor's Trailer Towing features. They all work "as designed". The Uhaul had hydraulic brakes activated by forward pressure on the tongue so I didnt have a chance to test the Raptor's electronic brake control. The Backup Assist is pretty good too for trailering newbies. This was the first time I towed a trailer EVER.

I was a luttle worried about the trailer. Uhaul was of course out of all the biggest trailer around Johnson City, TN. because of Memorial Day Weekend except for the UHaul place in Unicoi, TN up I-26 in hill country. The trailer they gave me was literally parked in knee high grass on the side of their bldg. and looked 30plus years old. The North Carolina license plate had cracked badly faded paint. The Tag said 1978... But it had new tires, the guy lubed the axles and hydralic brakes and all the lights worked. No Racoons inside. OK, here we go!

We made it in 4 - 10 hour days without a single issue, Raptor or Trailer. I ran 60 lbs air in the 4 trailer tires and 45 lbs in the Raptor's rear tires. On multiple steep up and downhill grades on I-40 never a problem. Never ran out of throttle or passing power uphill. Ran truck in Tow Mode when I remembered to press the button again (it shuts off everytime you shut down the truck). No overheating, trans temp normal the whole trip in June with outdoor temps up to 100 degrees last 2 days. The climb into Albuquerque was like I didnt even have a trailer in back. Even Cross Winds were no problem. Just had to be aware of gusts on the trailer. Have to steer just slightly into the cross wind. Averaged 12 to 14 MPG. Entire trip = 13.9 MPG. Truck was brand new with 200 miles when we started trip.

RAPTORS ROCK!

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

Terrain13crew

Reaction score
I want to haul a tractor that is 160 miles from home. According to the information I found online the trailer weighs 3,900 Lbs and the tractor weighs 2,400 Lbs plus whatever the snowblower, cab and front plow weighs. Can I haul this with my 2018? I haven't used it to haul yet, however I have used my 2011 to haul a snowmobile trailer with four snowmobile and I found that the back of the truck was pretty low. Should I find another method to haul it.
dude you are good I tow all the time .. truck is totally capable

OP
OP
F

Freeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, however to my original question I ended up having it hauled by a hauling company because after buying it I didn't want to drive back to get it. Since then I have hauled a few trailers and use torsion bars which helps a lot and have not had any issues.