Hauling trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to haul a tractor that is 160 miles from home. According to the information I found online the trailer weighs 3,900 Lbs and the tractor weighs 2,400 Lbs plus whatever the snowblower, cab and front plow weighs. Can I haul this with my 2018? I haven't used it to haul yet, however I have used my 2011 to haul a snowmobile trailer with four snowmobile and I found that the back of the truck was pretty low. Should I find another method to haul it.

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a SCAB, no. With a SCREW you’ve got enough towing capacity. However, like you I’ve not towed with mine either so not sure about squat.

Raptor Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If "the back of the truck was low" maybe you had too much tongue weight. Air the tires up on the trailer to the proper air pressure. center weight over the axles and go for it.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because it fits into the capacity doesn't mean it's safe. I'd spend a few bucks and rent a Super Duty for the day or even see if you can throw the guy a few extra bucks to deliver it.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some rear end "squat" is needed when hauling a trailer. This means that there is weight transfer to the truck....this is good!! 160 miles loaded up is easy to do.

Loading a trailer that has very little if any at all tongue weight on the tow vehicle causes more problems.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely expect some squat but you can haul that for sure. Being that the trailer itself is the bulk of the weight will help you. As Raptor Vet said - center the weight so the trailer is balanced and level.

OP
OP
F

Freeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a SCAB, no. With a SCREW you’ve got enough towing capacity. However, like you I’ve not towed with mine either so not sure about squat.
I do have a scab. I'm not sure if I will be buying it until I see it so didn't want to haul a trailer for nothing. A friend offered to haul it for me as he goes to that area often and comes back with an empty trailer. So it's not worth hauling it myself, even if I could. Thanks for all your feedback.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In a SCREW It’ll be fine. Yes there will be some squat but it’s just 160 miles and from the sound of it it’s a one time thing. Maybe twice if you need to take it back to where you got it from. I wouldn’t bother with rentals or dedicated towing vehicles for such a rare event. Raptor will be fine.