Guys in the Southeast...tire question. KO2s vs ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GEN2, but we don't have a tire/wheel forum, so here goes...

Any of you gents in the SE have a recommendation for a tire instead of the KO2? They are a good tire, but I am in South Carolina, where we have lots of gravel roads and slick "gumbo" mud. KO2s grab lots of little rocks and load up pretty easily with the slick mud.

Thinking about Toyo R/T or maybe A/T2, for less $. Like many, spend 90% time on/road, but I do go offroad in some swampy places. Looking for best balance of on-road performance and offroad competence. TIA.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My research has taken me to the

Cepek Fun Country,

Toyo RT

Nitto Ridge Grappler

General Grabber AT

BEWARE the Toyo and Ridge Grappler are heavy and stiff and I’ve read complaints that they make the truck ride like a truck.

I don’t know much about the Cepek tires or the General Grabber.

The Goodyear Duratracs are a solid buy but I’m not sure they are the answer either.

Any of you gents in the SE have a recommendation for a tire instead of the KO2? They are a good tire, but I am in South Carolina, where we have lots of gravel roads and slick "gumbo" mud. KO2s grab lots of little rocks and load up pretty easily with the slick mud.

Thinking about Toyo R/T or maybe A/T2, for less $. Like many, spend 90% time on/road, but I do go offroad in some swampy places. Looking for best balance of on-road performance and offroad competence. TIA.

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Toyo AT2 from the BFG Ko2, and I’ve been very happy with them. They are a bit louder than the BFG, but it is a slightly more aggressive tread pattern.
I spend a lot of time on the highway so tread wear is a concern. The Toyo has a 50K tread wear warranty. I’m just at 10,000 miles and they barely show any signs of wear.

My other option would be the Nitto Terra Grappler, basically the same time with a slightly more street pattern.

Oh, I live in north Florida and travel to NC, SC, GA, and even New England. The Toyo has been a great tire on dry and wet pavement. Next month I can give a snow report when I get back from New Hampshire

Last edited:
OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Toyo AT2 from the BFG Ko2, and I’ve been very happy with them. They are a bit louder than the BFG, but it is a slightly more aggressive tread pattern.
I spend a lot of time on the highway so tread wear is a concern. The Toyo has a 50K tread wear warranty. I’m just at 10,000 miles and they barely show any signs of wear.

My other option would be the Nitto Terra Grappler, basically the same time with a slightly more street pattern.

Oh, I live in north Florida and travel to NC, SC, GA, and even New England. The Toyo has been a great tire on dry and wet pavement. Next month I can give a snow report when I get back from New Hampshire

Thank you. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Toyo A/T2s for my Tundra before I traded it on the Raptor. I like the tread design...center rib, more grooves to clear debris, etc. The metric sizes had a 65K warranty, and the larger sizes a 50K. It does concern me a bit that BFG got rid of the tread warranty for the KO2, but they seem to wear well.

Guy, that was part of my concern with the R/Ts, plus the cost is way up there for a "hybrid" tire.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word on the street is Falken Wildpeaks are a very solid price point tire as well.

I have also heard the Cooper ST maxx is technically a mud tire but fits the all terrain rating and is reasonably quiet for the aggressive tread.

I am absolutely waffling on choice too

Thank you. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Toyo A/T2s for my Tundra before I traded it on the Raptor. I like the tread design...center rib, more grooves to clear debris, etc. The metric sizes had a 65K warranty, and the larger sizes a 50K. It does concern me a bit that BFG got rid of the tread warranty for the KO2, but they seem to wear well.

Guy, that was part of my concern with the R/Ts, plus the cost is way up there for a "hybrid" tire.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live here in NE FL and do about the same type of driving you do. I went with the toyo R/T in a 37" and love them. just a tad louder than the stock tires, but not much at all. ive got about 40k on them and they have a good bit of tread left. they are starting to wear and give a little more road noise, but not bad. trying to get another 10k or so before I get another set.

I recommended them to a buddy who has a F250. he got the 35" and loves them as well. they are pretty good in the rain as well. about the same as the BFGs. so that was important here in FL.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You ever decide on something OP? I am pretty certain I'm going to run Cooper ST Maxxs when my KO2s wear out. And they seem to wear out super fast.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a set of Goodyear Duratracs on and have been very pleased with their performance on pavement wet/dry/snow and limited off-road use here in NC. I was pleasantly surprised how quiet they are with a deeper, more aggressive tread than the BFGs. There are others on here who've gone with the Duratracs, recommended them, and can speak more extensively on their experiences with them.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever decide on something OP? I am pretty certain I'm going to run Cooper ST Maxxs when my KO2s wear out. And they seem to wear out super fast.

I have not yet...may do it with a wheel upgrade soon, though. I'm still leaning towards the Toyos...either the AT2s or the RTs. The Duratracs are interesting, but some folks have had wear and sidewall issues.

RobP

Reaction score
BEWARE the Toyo and Ridge Grappler are heavy and stiff and I’ve read complaints that they make the truck ride like a truck.

I have Ridge Grapplers on mine and it rides great and are very quiet too. I only put 500 miles on the KO2's before I changed to to the Nittos, but I didn't notice a difference in the ride quality or noise level compared to the KO2's.

The tread pattern looks great too, much more aggressive than the KO2's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter