Genuine life expectancy for the Gen1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I put so much $$ into the 13 that when I went to sell it there was no way to get close to what i had in it. The Raptor was the travel truck for the family. We took it everywhere. Wife said its time for a new one when i snapped the belt on the supercharger on a short trip. She only had to say that one time. I immediately got the 18 for trips and now i use the 13 for short travel and hunting. I work from home so no commute. They are such totally different trucks as far as the driving experience. The 13 is a muscle truck. The 18 is more refined, quieter, and better for long trips. I really like having both now. Would never sell either at this point. If i had to choose though i would absolutely pick the 13 if i had to have just one. They should never have taken away the V8. At least have 2 options, but that would cost Ford too much so they went soft for emissions and a lighter frame.

OP
OP
Frogger22

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Honestly, I put so much $$ into the 13 that when I went to sell it there was no way to get close to what i had in it. The Raptor was the travel truck for the family. We took it everywhere. Wife said its time for a new one when i snapped the belt on the supercharger on a short trip. She only had to say that one time. I immediately got the 18 for trips and now i use the 13 for short travel and hunting. I work from home so no commute. They are such totally different trucks as far as the driving experience. The 13 is a muscle truck. The 18 is more refined, quieter, and better for long trips. I really like having both now. Would never sell either at this point. If i had to choose though i would absolutely pick the 13 if i had to have just one. They should never have taken away the V8. At least have 2 options, but that would cost Ford too much so they went soft for emissions and a lighter frame.

Completely agree, but I think honestly if they offered both a lot of ppl would not of wanted the 3.5 eco so I think they only offered the one to sell them properly. Then they can add a V8 later at a ludicrous price tag.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree, but I think honestly if they offered both a lot of ppl would not of wanted the 3.5 eco so I think they only offered the one to sell them properly. Then they can add a V8 later at a ludicrous price tag.

Honestly I know I was in the tiny sliver of prospective owners who were hoping the 3.5EB was an option in the 2014. Not that I didn't like the 6.2, just the idea of a twin turbo truck just kind of did it for me. That being said the GEN2s don't do it for me nearly as much the GEN1; and I'm not throwing any shade that way either, they're objectively better than GEN1s, however they just don't do it for me like my truck does. Is it emotional attachment? Yes, of course... would I get a GEN2 if my truck was totalled? Probably... but man it feels like they've polished the GEN2s to a point that theres no edge to it anymore.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I know I was in the tiny sliver of prospective owners who were hoping the 3.5EB was an option in the 2014. Not that I didn't like the 6.2, just the idea of a twin turbo truck just kind of did it for me. That being said the GEN2s don't do it for me nearly as much the GEN1; and I'm not throwing any shade that way either, they're objectively better than GEN1s, however they just don't do it for me like my truck does. Is it emotional attachment? Yes, of course... would I get a GEN2 if my truck was totalled? Probably... but man it feels like they've polished the GEN2s to a point that theres no edge to it anymore.

I agree completely. The Gen 2's are scaled down "softer" versions of the Gen 1's. Aluminum body, Smaller more efficient motor, less emission footprint, 10 speed tranny, smoother ride, etc. They sold out on the muscle truck. It is still a pretty good truck imo. Great for what i use it for, a safe family hauler that is quieter and better mpg. But it still can be a beast offroad and I truly think its faster than my 13 by a half second. I have never raced them but...... Just a different feel all around. My girls talk the about the difference all the time. And the are 8 and 9 years old.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That might be the difference that sets these trucks up between disposable and immortal:

There are people who trade in a vehicle at the first sign of trouble, or when the warranty expires because its better to make a payment for them than deal with the problems.

There are some people who like these trucks as a project and will make them the best tech allows then discard them when the next thing comes along.

Then there are people who can't afford to replace the truck and just drive it into the ground out of boredom, neglect or ignorance.

And there are people who will take care of every maintenance block, make the truck last as long as they can and eventually scrap it because it becomes too much.

And there are people who will do literally whatever it takes to keep the truck alive and running, swap engines, have the truck repainted once a decade to keep the rust away, dig in to a problem as far as they have to to fix it.

Each of these persons is going to get a different life expectancy from the truck. All it will take to figure out how long the truck will last is look at their other vehicles. If they have a stable of brand new vehicles loaded to the gills the raptor isn't lasting long. If they have a bunch of stuff that doesn't run anymore due to neglect the raptor is going to be a mid term vehicle, if they have decades old vehicles that still fire up and go to town regularly the raptor will probably last forever.
I'm the last paragraph, have a 69 mustang that I've owned for 40 years the raptor will last just as long.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you’re saying they will last a long time got it...just reading an article that estimates the Gen1’s will last 300,000 miles
If you regularly change your fluids and keep your vehicle clean and provide some sort of rust protection, I really can't see why 300k isn't possible and after that, it will be 2040 and you can sell it to a teenager who will drop an electric motor into it.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The raptor is a truck I plan to have forever. It may continually be modified to eventually be a dirt only toy, but it will "last" me forever in whatever form it may be in at the time.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill rephrase

A vehicle is a collection of parts
It will last as long as you are willing to replace those parts as they fail.

Look at the modern restomod movement, take some pile mustang from the 60's that would have been considered unrevivable 20 years ago. Stick a custom chassis with a brand new engine under it, repair all of the rust or replace panels, put in all new electronics, interior and wiring... blam, you have a 2020 1966 mustang. Same thing is happening with C10s, d100 and f series, there will no doubt be survivor raptors, ones with crazy mileage on them, barn finds... history will just repeat itself.

Proper care is the big thing, my grandfather drove the same 1978 ranger for 30 years, when he replaced it he still kept it running and used it occasionally till he died. It had 350k on the stock 400 he only replaced what needed replaced, threw bearings in it when the oil pressure got low. I have that truck now and it still ran until I decided I wanted to completely redo it. I have his 55 jeep, still Frankensteined, still drive it. My brother has his 58 welding truck, still runs, still gets used. Raptors will be the same story, but a lot more desirable.

Anyone who thinks they can't turn a wrench simply hasn't yet. Mechanic'n isn't hard, doesn't require a lot of intelligence, strength can be replaced with leverage. A good mechanic is usually just an experienced or brave one. The lexicon that is the internet provides all the info needed. Working on cars and keeping them running is satisfying and therapeutic.

Last edited: