Genuine life expectancy for the Gen1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
As the title says what do you all generally expect for life from our trucks? On a scale of 1 (Keanu Reeves who never ages) to 10 (Jeffery Epstein....who didn’t last long) how long do these trucks have ?

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
motor has been around for quite some time. very reliable. the weak point would be the torsen front diff on the 13/14 year if you use 4wd. and with the snow, i know you use it but slow stuff isnt an issue. mostly though, i think its all relative on how its used. knowing you personally, as long as you do the upkeep on it, you will be handing it down to your kids...... if that day ever happens. mine on the other hand, might need a bit more work than yours. i do tend to push it pretty good. but at 197k miles, its still going strong.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question comes down to how it was driven. If its a street queen and maintained and cared for, I think a Gen 1 would last indefinitely. If it was hard driven/off roaded/jumped a lot, 4-6 years before shit will break/parts will need to be replaced.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I give it a 1, will last forever if you throw enough parts at it and maintain it properly. Seems like every 3-4 years I'm dumping 5k into it, which is cheap compared to a new vehicle. She's been jumped regularly and driven WOT for over 10 years now.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably a 2-3 depending on owners and location.

Seems it's only weak point is the rockers/rust

Seems like quite a few owners do or have put anywhere from 20-40k miles a year on these trucks and they are still driving in good condition.

The engine/trans are great durability wise. Axles and diffs are very good etc. Not too many options electrical(option dependent) wise to limit gremlins there.

IMO Ford makes good trucks. The Lightning is still ticking and hold strong and they were last made in 2004.

I suspect the Gen 2 will have a good shelf life too.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will see these around in 50 years. They were an instant collectible and most people tend to take care of them better than other vehicles. They get garaged and treated more nicely on the average day than most pickups. Besides, they share the entire drivetrain with other f-series trucks which means replacement bits are going to be in scrap yards for a long time to come. They are built very robustly, which helps.

I certainly wouldn't want to do a full resto on on though... many parts and a huge vehicle!

Gen 2 is disposable, once their tech becomes dated and the new wears off the ecoboost the gen 1 will surpass them in value. The raptor went from exclusive and collectible to a trim package with huge production numbers. That will be the gen 2 savior though, between the large number and the intensive aluminum construction there will be no choice but for many to last.

You still see 6 cylinder stripper f series from the 50's and 60s running around. Someone will be driving these as long as there is petroleum available, and probably long after since whatever the next power source is will attract retrofitters. One of the most desirable trucks of all time is a 32-35 ford pickup, that was built nearly 90 years ago.

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say a 1-3...really depends on how hard you are on it and if you maintain it correctly...My 2014 is Supercharged,so might be the exception...but with 62K on it so far only had to fix an injection wire a damn mouse chewed thru,surly not the Raptors fault..LOL...and last month,Rear Diff. was getting rather loud so had my Mechanic look at it since I was changing the cover anyway and the Pinion was going out...so had it rebuilt.....so my baby is good as new,and looks it too....Like others I feel its going to be a classic...just have to live long enough...but I have owned my '63 Corvette for 47 years,so who knows....:rolleyes:

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to put a number on it. Most vehicles will last forever if problem parts are replaced along the way. It is when (mileage and years) problems start to crop up that makes a difference.

Owned a '76 F-150 4x4 for 24 years. Owned a 2001 F-150 4x4 for 16 years. The '01 started costing significant repair dollars sooner in mileage than the '76. I didn't expect '01 to 'last' as long as the '76. Too early to tell with this '14 Raptor. Only has 36K on it. It ought to last as long as the other two.

Okay, I'll give it a 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts