Gen2 Discussion for Gen1 Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The last part says who needs a lightning. If ford offers the Raptor power train in a standard f150, the truck would be lightning speed worthy already. Probably faster then the L1 and L2.

talked a lot about my electric clutches I've been wanting

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
talked a lot about my electric clutches I've been wanting

Lol I'm going to say by electric clutches, it means the ones in the transfer case. Not ones to replace the IWE. Although due to the fact the truck isn't out yet, I could be wrong.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol I'm going to say by electric clutches, it means the ones in the transfer case. Not ones to replace the IWE. Although due to the fact the truck isn't out yet, I could be wrong.

I'm hoping it replaced the vacuum crap also like a fence is only as good as the gate

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the 'making it soft' point. I've drove just about every truck ever made. And those that know me understand that when I say drive, I mean I drive a lot. I've got almost 75k on my 2014, and this is still the lowest mile vehicle I have ever owned. But, it is also the most fun and challenging.

Having a dial that does it all is going to remove some (edit: a lot) of that fun. On just about run I have been on, I have used different combinations of traction control, shifting styles, off-road modes, etc. NONE of them have fallen into any of the new 'offered' turns of a dial that are coming out on the new truck. Sure, if your going to drive down a sandy wash only. Or climb rocks only. Or drive in 3-4 inches of snow only. These are gonna help.

But just for example, at Snoball a few weeks ago, we were drifting down snow covered roads at 40 -50 mph one minute, and the next minute we were climbing inclines that were rocky and rutted, and then we were driving down roads with 10 - 12 inches of fresh snow on them. It took many different types of throttle and gear variations to navigate that. I don't see the fun in just turning a dial and being able to do it like ordering a meal at McDonalds. I enjoyed the challenge.

Sure, it may allow new drivers the ability to handle some of these off road challenges, but they won't have the thrill of LEARNING why the truck is doing it. I'm not an off road pro, but I sure as hell have learned a lot more about it than I ever did driving all the other dumb-downed trucks I've had that did all the thinking for me. One important thing I have learned is this - more power doesn't mean shit when you don't need it.

A very small percentage of very lucky people live where they can just point the truck down a line on the compass and let it all hang out. Not saying that doesn't take a great deal of skill and knowledge to do, but I am used to trails and hills and mountains where you cherish the opportunity to just open it up and go. The rest of the time it is very technical off road conditions where a shit ton of power isn't all that important.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Ford offer a big ol V8 that is throaty, and loud and has the horsepower and torque that I am used to having in those technical situations. And if the V6 is here to stay, then I hope they offer an 'enthusiasts' mode that shuts all the fancy shit off and just lets the driver drive......

It doesn't force the driver to learn nor does it make the truck perform better then the average skilled person could wheel it (off road at least). Turn all that shit off and a decent driver will get the truck from point A to B quicker then having the nannies interfere. If the truck can easily blow the tires off on the street then a traction control management will probably be pretty useful for the stop light racers.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To the 'making it soft' point. I've drove just about every truck ever made. And those that know me understand that when I say drive, I mean I drive a lot. I've got almost 75k on my 2014, and this is still the lowest mile vehicle I have ever owned. But, it is also the most fun and challenging.

Having a dial that does it all is going to remove some (edit: a lot) of that fun. On just about run I have been on, I have used different combinations of traction control, shifting styles, off-road modes, etc. NONE of them have fallen into any of the new 'offered' turns of a dial that are coming out on the new truck. Sure, if your going to drive down a sandy wash only. Or climb rocks only. Or drive in 3-4 inches of snow only. These are gonna help.

But just for example, at Snoball a few weeks ago, we were drifting down snow covered roads at 40 -50 mph one minute, and the next minute we were climbing inclines that were rocky and rutted, and then we were driving down roads with 10 - 12 inches of fresh snow on them. It took many different types of throttle and gear variations to navigate that. I don't see the fun in just turning a dial and being able to do it like ordering a meal at McDonalds. I enjoyed the challenge.

Sure, it may allow new drivers the ability to handle some of these off road challenges, but they won't have the thrill of LEARNING why the truck is doing it. I'm not an off road pro, but I sure as hell have learned a lot more about it than I ever did driving all the other dumb-downed trucks I've had that did all the thinking for me. One important thing I have learned is this - more power doesn't mean shit when you don't need it.

A very small percentage of very lucky people live where they can just point the truck down a line on the compass and let it all hang out. Not saying that doesn't take a great deal of skill and knowledge to do, but I am used to trails and hills and mountains where you cherish the opportunity to just open it up and go. The rest of the time it is very technical off road conditions where a shit ton of power isn't all that important.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Ford offer a big ol V8 that is throaty, and loud and has the horsepower and torque that I am used to having in those technical situations. And if the V6 is here to stay, then I hope they offer an 'enthusiasts' mode that shuts all the fancy shit off and just lets the driver drive......

All valid points. Again it all comes down to marketability and trying to sell as many trucks as possible by pleasing as many people as possible.

Like I said and I agree with you, it should have an enthusiast mode or a "turn all the nanny shit off mode and let me pick instead".

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it replaced the vacuum crap also like a fence is only as good as the gate

I think everyone would love to see an improved IWE on the gen2. People would be doing swaps to gen ones like crazy. From what Fords shown so far, it looks like the same craptastic system.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heck, I'd love to be able to put it in 4 low without actually being in 4x4 mode. Gone are those kind of days!

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Sure some might call it making the Raptor "soft" or a "street queen" but all its doing is making it less intimidating for people not as comfortable with offroading or all the systems and what they are/should be used for.

It's not an insult to say the Gen2 will be "soft" or a "street queen" because like the Gen1 Raptor, it is/will-be a street queen for the 80% who won't take it off-road.

It won't change my decision on buying one but all these "features" you talk about is just that, talk. It something for the street queens to talk about all these "features" when they have no intention of going off-road. These will never be selling points for FRF members and I single out FRF members because by far we are the minority who go off-road.

I don't pretend that I'm a Trophy Truck racer... but having grown up with desert racing and with my own off-roading for more than 30 years I don't need electronic nannies to help me drive off-road.

See! Not a single nanny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.