Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
We'll see. The vacuum system failing is what destroys the IWE as it only half-way engages and grinds itself to death- so magnets might be the solution.

Actually, it doesn’t disengage fully, so it allows the moving hub to touch slightly (or more) the stationary hub causing the noise and eventual wear/destruction.

Although many blame the check valve, I’ve seen the solenoid itself cause the issue more often.

Ford included the awesome new transfer case with clutched automatic torque transfer in the Gen2+, so if you’re running in 2wd, it’s because you like to hear/smell the burning rubber of the rear tires.

I have nearing 80k miles on mine, E50, tuned, mid 12sec 1/4 mile, 140mph(+) top speed, all done in 4A. It’s the most durable way to go. The hubs never need to disengage unless…, well smoke and noise is desired.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, it doesn’t disengage fully, so it allows the moving hub to touch slightly (or more) the stationary hub causing the noise and eventual wear/destruction.
You can never engage 4WD but still have IWE issues, so "disegagement" is not a requirement for failure. If the vac signal fails to the IWE, a truck in 2WD will have it's IWEs begin to engage and they will destroy themselves.

jaibyrd

Reaction score
Just picked mine up last Wednesday and tried putting it into 4H while parked and it happened to me. Lost drive, suspension, and steering modes as well. I was able to put into 4L and back into 2H no problem but couldn't get into 4H or 4A. After shutting down and coming back an hour or so later the service light was gone but once I tried to put it into 4A again, errored out. Less than 48 hours after taking it home she was back at the dealership for service. FordPass App has gone off a couple times this morning with the Powertrain Malfunction message so at least they got it right into the shop. Waiting to hear back from them to see what my issue is, but finding this thread has been helpful to keep me off the edge for now.
Dealership just reached out. Looks like it was the IWE passenger side front. Said it appeared factory installation had it slightly misaligned which damaged the IWE. They had to replace it. Fingers crossed I'm good to go. Really hope to get it dirty this weekend!

Tech

Reaction score
The Gen3 IWE doesn’t use vacuum anymore. It’s electromagnetic so that should eliminate some issues.. or add more? Lol
I guess that’s why it throws all the alerts on the dash instead of a grinding noise from the front. If the wire energizing the magnet break does it engage the IWE? One thing I liked about the vacuum, is if it failed it failed to 4x4 not 2 wheel drive.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good for aftermarket companies, they can use stronger electromagnets if they give us trouble. Kind of hard to make the previous version suck more.

Mallon3194

Reaction score
2022 gen 3 4k miles

I’ve noticed a shunt/slight clunk when I’m he truck shifts down to 1st coming to a stop sign! It’s not smooth at all, It normally happens when I’m driving around the neighborhood and I’m stoping and going constantly!

Also notice if you put the foot down from a dead stop sometimes there’s a lag like no power and I notice the turbo gauge is well in the negative.

Not sure if these are common issues but I’m here for hopefully some info

Attachments

• 76C16901-BEEA-473D-A679-B31904E0D160.jpeg
    76C16901-BEEA-473D-A679-B31904E0D160.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 39
  • B350023E-C3E8-4BFE-BEC1-941EF887641C.png
    B350023E-C3E8-4BFE-BEC1-941EF887641C.png
    615.6 KB · Views: 39

Mossy 150

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2022 gen 3 4k miles

I’ve noticed a shunt/slight clunk when I’m he truck shifts down to 1st coming to a stop sign! It’s not smooth at all, It normally happens when I’m driving around the neighborhood and I’m stoping and going constantly!

Also notice if you put the foot down from a dead stop sometimes there’s a lag like no power and I notice the turbo gauge is well in the negative.

Not sure if these are common issues but I’m here for hopefully some info
Mine falls on it's face when I mash the pedal now from a stop, never used to. Like a cold carburetor on an old musclecar that's not up to temp. Whatever. New 23 shows up tomorrow so it's the dealers problem now. Also the driver's window on auto gets to the top and goes right back to wide open, need to creep it closed a little at a time. Trombone rattles, valves in there or something. Big screen does stupid shit, half on and half ford performance screen in the background. Sometimes won't load my stations on Sirius. Start it up and when I press the button won't return steering wheel or seat to my position. Cameras freak out quite often, put it in Park and it keeps moving, auto applies parking brake. Only sometimes, dealer said I imagined it because they can't duplicate. Was fine for 6800 miles, now the last700 it's acting like a crazy woman. Maybe the amb paint is bad luck. You can't touch that color up without it looking like a black spot either. Hope my code orange is the color of happiness and zero issues.
Was built february 2022 if that means anything

Last edited:

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I have noticed the same issue regarding slowing down. It normally happens to me as I am coasting down hill to a stop sign, foot off of gas and pressure on brake pedal. it does not seem to happen if I stay on the gas when going up hill. My Gen 2 acted similar, I have just assumed it its part of the normal shifting issues these transmissions have from time to time.

I have not noticed any lag or turbo issues with acceleration.

@mossyf150....Code orange has been a great color to take care of so far. I love it.