Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what they changed on the IWEs?

There aren't many common failure points that have carried through 4 generations of F150s. They've stuck with this IWE design since 2004, so you'd think it'd behoove Ford to make it known when they've improved it- since it's has a pretty crappy reputation for properly engaging and working when you really need it.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had 8 F150’s in that time frame and used the 4x4 a lot, especially in the winter. Never have had a problem. I don’t think they are as unreliable as you make them out to be.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your 8 trucks doesn't mean it's not a failure prone system compared to prior Ford systems, and systems from other manufacturers. All "common problems" are that not common.

If 95% are OK, statisically you could buy 19 trucks and never have an issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had 8 F150’s in that time frame and used the 4x4 a lot, especially in the winter. Never have had a problem. I don’t think they are as unreliable as you make them out to be.
Agreed. Never had an issue with any of the 3 I’ve had. It’s a simple vacuum system; the majority of issues I’ve seen are due to a failed check valve, which easy to diagnose and replace.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder why Ford is the #1 oil field truck? Axle deep mud, dirt all day, max payload very poor dirt roads. They get beat to s..t. Suppose it might be because they are by far more reliable under heavy use?
You are falling to the forum, internet trap. Not many take the time to say how good their truck is, but when it breaks it a POS backed by a Ford conspiracy theory designed to screw Ford’s most Loyal customers. Geez!

Tech

Reaction score
When I got my 2017 gen 2 the only mechanical problem I had was the IWE. It was intermittent, so it took two trips to the dealer for them to fix it. This forum told me what it was and once I knew that I used 4A with no problems until I could get it into the dealer the second time for the final fix. I had that truck for five more years with no issues. I took it off road at least two or three times a week, but no baja speeds in the WNC Mountains just water crossings. I have a Gen 3 now, but I haven't had a chance to take out and flex it's foxes.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
Following out of curiosity with the 3 gen 3s all failing at the same time. So far the only issue I have had with mine was a drive mode unavailable while at a deep snow event. Shut the truck down and restarted, no issues the rest of the day. ‍♂️

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what they changed on the IWEs?

There aren't many common failure points that have carried through 4 generations of F150s. They've stuck with this IWE design since 2004, so you'd think it'd behoove Ford to make it known when they've improved it- since it's has a pretty crappy reputation for properly engaging and working when you really need it.
The Gen3 IWE doesn’t use vacuum anymore. It’s electromagnetic so that should eliminate some issues.. or add more? Lol

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen3 IWE doesn’t use vacuum anymore. It’s electromagnetic so that should eliminate some issues.. or add more? Lol
We'll see. The vacuum system failing is what destroys the IWE as it only half-way engages and grinds itself to death- so magnets might be the solution.