Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can delete the IWEs. At least you can in the older trucks. Not sure if the changes they've allegedly made to to the IWEs recently would prevent the delete kits from fitting.

It'll cost you some MPG, but your truck will be fully in either 2WD or 4WD as you desire, none of this slowly grinding it's into and out of 4WD that you get with failing IWEs.

If it's used in 4WD off road a lot, IWE deletes are really something that the truck should have.

mts

Reaction score
So I didn't really know much about the Integrated Wheel End system. After reading a bit about it, it sure seems like a failure waiting to happen off-road?

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I didn't really know much about the Integrated Wheel End system. After reading a bit about it, it sure seems like a failure waiting to happen off-road?
Sounds like it and that’s the thing that sucks the most - this happening offroad for Ford’s most capable badass truck is a let down. But all things mechanical/electrical are prone to some sort of failure and that’s just life.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's all about MPGs. The IWEs disconnect the tires from the 4WD system at the best point for MPGs, right at the wheel bearing.

The older (97-03) Ford IFS 4WD setup was MUCH less likely to fail, but more compontents were left spinning when not in 4WD, costing you MPG. Drivers wheel was always driving a half shaft and the front diff. The passenger wheel was disconnected just outside of the diff. It used a big solid gear to engage/disengage the passenger side instead of a bunch of small teeth.

diverdown75

Reaction score
took delivery of my R last week. When it came no audio, no gos, no compass. Right back to dealer. Took them a week of reprogramming to get it working. They literally deleted and re-programmed the entire truck computer 3x (at least what they told me). He didn’t want to rip the dash off to check the APIM because he was waiting as a last resort. Truck fixed (for now). Hoping it is a long term solution.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to modern vehicles. I remember seeing dealer techs programming BMWs a decade ago, and they took 20+ hrs to update since stuff was even slower back then, and an update to one module could require updates to everything else. They would leave them going all night, and half of the time come in to find one module didn't "take" so they got to start all over again. It was a 3 to 4 day process to update programming if a bunch of modules needed reflashed.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good thing to take note of though and also very odd. I wonder if others are experiencing this issue?

Maybe this is the stuck actuator someone else mentioned?

How many miles on your truck? What year Gen 3 is truck?
2023 Gen 3 with not even 2,000 miles yet. Just about to roll over the 2k mark.

jaibyrd

Reaction score
The first person that i knew who purchased a Gen 3 had an immediate IWE/4WD issue. Ill see if he also had driver mode issues. I guess the new IWE's are "electronic junk".
Just picked mine up last Wednesday and tried putting it into 4H while parked and it happened to me. Lost drive, suspension, and steering modes as well. I was able to put into 4L and back into 2H no problem but couldn't get into 4H or 4A. After shutting down and coming back an hour or so later the service light was gone but once I tried to put it into 4A again, errored out. Less than 48 hours after taking it home she was back at the dealership for service. FordPass App has gone off a couple times this morning with the Powertrain Malfunction message so at least they got it right into the shop. Waiting to hear back from them to see what my issue is, but finding this thread has been helpful to keep me off the edge for now.

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked mine up last Wednesday and tried putting it into 4H while parked and it happened to me. Lost drive, suspension, and steering modes as well. I was able to put into 4L and back into 2H no problem but couldn't get into 4H or 4A. After shutting down and coming back an hour or so later the service light was gone but once I tried to put it into 4A again, errored out. Less than 48 hours after taking it home she was back at the dealership for service. FordPass App has gone off a couple times this morning with the Powertrain Malfunction message so at least they got it right into the shop. Waiting to hear back from them to see what my issue is, but finding this thread has been helpful to keep me off the edge for now.
I also picked mine up two weeks ago but haven’t had any issues with this.

But now this post has me thinking I should double verify to be sure.

So far, I have had no problems switching modes or switching different transfer case modes ON THE FLY (I.e. while driving).

For reference, I’ve been switching between normal, sport and SLIPPERY (a few slushy, snowy, and rainy days here in SE Michigan) without any issues while driving… so far.