Gen 2 vs Gen 1 Frame Durability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By beefed up do you mean the whole frame or just specific areas "shock towers, lower subframe, additional weld supports"?
F-150 got an entirely new and stronger frame with the 2015 redesign. The Gen 2 Raptor’s frame is a modified and strengthened version of that frame with various reinforcements.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything @Rick@FMS said 100%. I've had a Gen1 since 2011 and never heard of a warranty issue because of a bump stop kit.

I did want to add that in addition to what Rick said about the bump stop kit, which is all true, most of them also reinforce the frame around the bumps. Most aren't just new strike plates and bump shocks, but also heavy steel that wraps about 24" of the frame as well.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Well neither would consequential damage if you hit the factory bump either. Thanks for responding.
Thanks Rick and everyone for the clarification.

What is the best bump stop to get on my Gen 2 that is budget friendly. Dont want something that is overkill but just want to protect the frame. RPG?

Also not looking for ones that damage the beds of the frame over time like some bump stops do.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPG, SVC, Icon. Take your pick. I like the SVC setup; it is heavy reinforcement and adjustable, but they are all great.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-150 got an entirely new and stronger frame with the 2015 redesign. The Gen 2 Raptor’s frame is a modified and strengthened version of that frame with various reinforcements.
@FordTechOne anyone “Evel Knieveling”(tm) a Raptor clearly understands ANY factory warranty does not apply to any damage from off-road use/jumping/off-roading/etc.

I encourage folks to have fun, enjoy life, break the truck, modify, stress OEM vehicles and when they break them (outside the legal OEM parameters)—call the aftermarket to ask them to pay for the damage and allow for CQI (extensive engineering) to see what failed during the “hold the beer moment” as any rational engineer would do.

OEMs (mine already has) are adopting technology that will let us know 360 G-forces. This is a good thing for everyone—yes, everyone.

Please read your warranty as no company warranties off-road, racing, etc. You may hit a bump at the coffee shop, and that is all good. That is marketing.

NOTE1: Frame is an ecosystem. Rigid and strong is what we want. Bumpstops cannot absorb the energy from jumping a truck.

NOTE2: Physics 101 “tuning forks”—steel is a great tuning fork. The energy from a hard landing cascades throughout the “ecosystem” of the frame (Forces are transferred and will find the weakest point in the frame). That includes every component that receives forces delivered from all impacts—throughout the life of the vehicle.

NOTE3: Bumpstop upgrades (EDITED: are not a panacea but some look really cool though). If you are intent on avoiding frame damage—increase suspension travel (and void your warranty). At least—suspension travel provides an opportunity to avoid hitting the “bump stops” when you drive through the big coffee shop speed bump—at high speeds to impress.

NOTE4: You have to engineer the entire steel frame as a structure—as gusseting is pointless as is creates stress risers. You must strengthen the steel frame (as an ecosystem including all mounting points) if you want to “improve on OEM”.

In closing, please have fun—modify your vehicle to your liking. Break it and share what broke with OEM. We are not paying for any of it.

Then hold the aftermarket accountable for legal claims when ABC, XYZ, part does not perform to standard—and kaboom occurs.

Do not call OEM.

I hope this is helpful for all who are enthusiasts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
@FordTechOne anyone “Evel Knieveling”(tm) a Raptor clearly understands ANY factory warranty does not apply to any damage from off-road use/jumping/off-roading/etc.

I encourage folks to have fun, enjoy life, break the truck, modify, stress OEM vehicles and when they break them (outside the legal OEM parameters)—call the aftermarket to ask them to pay for the damage and allow for CQI (extensive engineering) to see what failed during the “hold the beer moment” as any rational engineer would do.

OEMs (mine already has) are adopting technology that will let us know 360 G-forces. This is a good thing for everyone—yes, everyone.

Please read your warranty as no company warranties off-road, racing, etc. You may hit a bump at the coffee shop, and that is all good. That is marketing.

NOTE1: Frame is an ecosystem. Rigid and strong is what we want. Bumpstops cannot absorb the energy from jumping a truck.

NOTE2: Physics 101 “tuning forks”—steel is a great tuning fork. The energy from a hard landing cascades throughout the “ecosystem” of the fram (Forces are transferred and will find the weakest point in the frame). That includes every component that receives forces delivered from all impacts—throughout the life of the vehicle.

NOTE3: Bumpstop upgrades are useless (some look really cool though). If you are intent on avoiding frame damage—increase suspension travel (and void your warranty). At least—suspension travel provides an opportunity to avoid hitting the “bump stops” when you drive through the big coffee shop speed bump—at high speed to impress.

NOTE4: You have to engineer the entire steel frame as a structure—as gusseting is pointless as is creates stress risers. You must strengthen the steel frame (as an ecosystem including all mounting points) if you want to “improve on OEM”.

In closing, please have fun—modify your vehicle to your liking. Break it and share what broke with OEM. We are not paying for any of it.

Then hold the aftermarket accountable for legal claims when ABC, XYZ, part does not perform to standard—and kaboom occurs.

Do not call OEM.

I hope this is helpful for all who are enthusiasts.
Thanks for the robust clarification.

I am confused/curious on your claim of "bump stop doesnt absorb energy"? Isnt the whole point of the bump stop to not slap the axle/diff to the frame?

Again, i have had the truck for 2 years and aware of the physics and interia movement of the truck jumping based on the following enertia dispursement below

Truck jumps and the following happens

1. Interia is created and Shock full compresses bases on the travel available and full absorbs what it can.
2. Axle is compressed and thus hitting the stock bump pad or in this case a aftermarket bump stop.
3. If there is still interia available, that is when the frame or actual axle would abosrb the rest and thus causing no damage (depending on how hard the jump is) or breaking stuff aka frame and other areas.

So my question to you, wouldnt it make sense for a bump stop to absorb and act like a insurance. From my offroad miles experience, i dont send it near as hard as others do. I never once have donkey kick or go for those super deep dive jumps/hill that bash your frame. I always jumps at 40-50mph max in 2H, wheel straightend and truck pointed straight and hardly do any multiple jumps in a row.

Which brings to my conclusion, a bump stop is nice but until i am more experience and willing to push the truck to the limit it just more of a insurance to have. What are your thoughts?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bump stops do absorb energy. It takes a certain amount of energy to compress the bump stops, some of that energy is transferred to the frame but a lot of it is converted into heating the fluid in the bump stops. That’s where your energy dispassion comes from. Once the bump stop is fully compressed whenever remaining energy there is is going to your frame and axle. You can debate how much energy bump stops dissipate but to say they don’t do anything is quite simply false.