Gen 2 vs Gen 1 Frame Durability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have had my 19 Gen 2 for a while and starting to get more and more into the offroad scene, i have jumped my truck and pushed it to what i believe its limit (Baby Jumps).

i wanted to ask, how durable are these Gen 2 frame? Does anyone have any specific details of what areas the Gen 2 frame recieved in terms of durability upgrades vs a Gen 1 or a regular F150 (i.e shock towers, mid frame reinforcements)?

The truck is completely stock and not sure what the truck limits is. How easy is it to bend the frames on the Gen 2? Can you jump this truck constantly with the stock bump pads and not have to worry?

Just wanted to get a clear picture. It would be cool to see if anyone has a pic like the Gen 3 frame attached for the Gen 2 to see what specific durability upgrades it recieved.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2021_F-150-Raptor_40.jpeg
    2021_F-150-Raptor_40.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 61

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only the early Gen 1s had frame issues and it wasn't from jumping, it was from hitting certain whoops with a "kick" afterwards, I believe the later 13's and 14's have a beefier frame. I have a 10 and never bent the frame, but I did eventually put an aftermarket bump stop on it. You should put a bump stop on yours and some beefier springs for better control offroad, cheap insurance.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
not sure of specifics but the gen 2 was significantly beefed up vs the gen 1 which people were bending.
By beefed up do you mean the whole frame or just specific areas "shock towers, lower subframe, additional weld supports"?

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Only the early Gen 1s had frame issues and it wasn't from jumping, it was from hitting certain whoops with a "kick" afterwards, I believe the later 13's and 14's have a beefier frame. I have a 10 and never bent the frame, but I did eventually put an aftermarket bump stop on it. You should put a bump stop on yours and some beefier springs for better control offroad, cheap insurance.
Interesting, the reason i havent put any heavy mods is because i will be purchasing the extended warranty and dont want to void it by getting bump stops in case if any suspension components break from offroading. Would they void warranty on bump stops?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, the reason i havent put any heavy mods is because i will be purchasing the extended warranty and dont want to void it by getting bump stops in case if any suspension components break from offroading. Would they void warranty on bump stops?
You know, a dealer could, but I couldn't understand why. I never got denied any warranty on mine, but I never put a tune on it and that's what my dealer said. So be honest and check with your dealer before you install parts. I jumped a lot of dunes in Pismo beach, Coos Bay ad Glamis before I bought my bump stops. Everybody drives different though.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
You know, a dealer could, but I couldn't understand why. I never got denied any warranty on mine, but I never put a tune on it and that's what my dealer said. So be honest and check with your dealer before you install parts. I jumped a lot of dunes in Pismo beach, Coos Bay ad Glamis before I bought my bump stops. Everybody drives different though.
Agreed. This vehicle is still expensive if things break, so would still like to maintain a warranty.

For my driving, ill stick to the stock bump pads as i currently have only 20% or less offroad miles on the truck and mostly all have been at a grommed track

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Being someone who bent a 14’ frame, you can bend anything if you hit it hard enough off-road regardless if the factory frame is beefed up. I was jumping the same jump all weekend and I hit it wrong, that one time and nosed dived. The 13/14’ was beefed up in the rear and GEN2 in further areas but not enough.

We have seen the rear LCA pocket get bent on GEN2s when I don’t recall seeing that happen when the front got hit on the GEN1's.

My recommendations of protection would be:
* Bumper that protects the front LCA. Too many aftermarket bumpers completely expose these worse than the stock bumper. There are some aftermarket bumpers that provide protection here.
* LCA protection with the KHC or Forged Offroad slot delete kits that really strengthens the pockets but will require an adjustable UCA.
* KHC or Foutz skid plates to protect the transmission crossmember and exhaust as Ford leaves this exposed.
* Rear bump stop kit that uses a bump stop SHOCK instead of the pathetic rubber/foam bump.
* Sensible driving and know you limits
* tidbit: carry an extra inner tie rod with you when off-road. Seen plenty of these bent on GEN2

If you have any questions or FRF pricing, happy to go over details.

Rick
Freedom Motorsports

Attachments

• 698C5B87-0720-4E49-A2A3-77AC4936251D.jpeg
    698C5B87-0720-4E49-A2A3-77AC4936251D.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 98
  • CF90858F-7D9D-485A-A16D-B95FD6DAD374.jpeg
    CF90858F-7D9D-485A-A16D-B95FD6DAD374.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Being someone who bent a 14’ frame, you can bend anything if you hit it hard enough off-road regardless if the factory frame is beefed up. I was jumping the same jump all weekend and I hit it wrong, that one time and nosed dived. The 13/14’ was beefed up in the rear and GEN2 in further areas but not enough.

We have seen the rear LCA pocket get bent on GEN2s when I don’t recall seeing that happen when the front got hit on the GEN1's.

My recommendations of protection would be:
* Bumper that protects the front LCA. Too many aftermarket bumpers completely expose these. There are some that provide protection here.
* LCA protection with the KHC or Forged Offroad slot delete kits that really strengthens the pockets but will require an adjustable UCA.
* KHC or Foutz skid plates to protect the transmission crossmember and exhaust as Ford leaves this exposed.
* Rear bump stop kit that uses a bump stop SHOCK instead of the pathetic rubber/foam bump.
* Sensible driving and know you limits
* tidbit: carry an extra inner tie rod with you when off-road. Seen plenty of these bent on GEN2

If you have any questions or FRF pricing, happy to go over details.

Rick
Freedom Motorsports
Thats crazy that the frame bend on the Gen 1.

Only thing stopping me from getting bump stops is any dealer trying to void my warrantt for suspension work. I have heard dealers will not honor any suspension warranty work if they see bump stops. Is that true?

Also, for my type of driving i think the stock bump pads suffice as i dont take any crazy massive jumps like the midtravel travels do. I stick to more small and groomed jumps.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats crazy that the frame bend on the Gen 1.

Only thing stopping me from getting bump stops is any dealer trying to void my warrantt for suspension work. I have heard dealers will not honor any suspension warranty work if they see bump stops. Is that true?

Also, for my type of driving i think the stock bump pads suffice as i dont take any crazy massive jumps like the midtravel travels do. I stick to more small and groomed jumps.
I have never heard of any dealer voiding a warranty due to someone having a bump stop kit. It's not like its replacing a major suspension component. I've had suspension mods and never ran into warranty issues but it does matter on your dealership. When you hit the factory bump, it can be harsh and donkey kit the rear end. With a bump stop kit, it absorbs the impact smoothly and releases it back smooth, unlike the foam pad and with that the forces that are applied to the underside of the frame can be cringing to hear.