GEN 2 Pinion Bearing Failure - New Part From Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORTrux

Reaction score
Truck recently developed a mildly audible hum/whine from the back that was tied exactly to wheel speed, so I assumed it was a diff issue. Sure enough, service diagnosed pinion bearing failure.

What was interesting was a bird then informed me that there has been a recent uptick of Raptors coming in for this, and that Ford has recently released a new updated part (bird did not specify but it’s the bearing or a shim etc obviously) included in the repair service.

Said bird also informed me that it’s their prediction that there may be a recall or TSB at minimum coming down the pipe for this.

So yeah, at any rate, if you hear said diff whine and take your truck in, make sure they know about or are ordering the updated hardware.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Interesting. can you post up part #’s from the repair order when your truck is squared away?

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck developed a noise from the rear end that was throttle sensitive last year. Tech said it was the ring and pinion. In the description on the repair order it said that the preload on the pinion was too loose. They replaced all the bearings seals and the ring and pinion. So maybe it was a bearing issue instead of a set up problem? No problems since. I think it was last August when I had it repaired .

typecase

Reaction score
My pinion bearing also failed. Made a deceleration noise the minute I took my foot of the throttle and would disappear when I touched it again. Cost me nearly $3k to get this repaired as they said the whole 'rear end' would need to be rebuilt with new seals and such. Now it appears this is a common problem. Frustrating because I love this truck but it's costing me $$$ after the warranty expired. I really don't like the look of the gen 3.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely. Lifts change the pinion angle, which then increases the load on the pinion bearings.
I just noticed that I have a pinion seal leak. When i changed my diff fluid i noticed some oil. I reached aster the fluid change and now see clean oil under the diff. This would just require the seal to be swapped out? If the bearing is still fine no need to change that too?