GEN. 2 FORD RAPTOR OVER KILL OR JUST RIGHT ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A stock raptor is overkill, unless you are desert racing or a 18-25 year old kid, which each of those I am not. The raptor needs nothing except dedicated snow tires and maybe a better sounding exhaust.

clearly, we disagree on this.
I really have no clue why you bought a raptor.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP:
Congrats on your new truck!
Overkill?...
I live in southern California and have been doing desert recreation since 1969 when i rode my first dirt bike in Mojave...I've had several desert pre-runners and my 18' Raptor replaced my last pre-runner a 2004 Titan 2wd...I feel in love with the Raptor the first time I saw one and all I saw was a factory light duty pre-runner from the factory with all sorts of goodies. My last truck had thousands of off road miles including chasing the Baja 500 several years in a row for some Class 30/40 motorcycle racers..ran desert trips with other Titan owners and such. The Raptor has simply been out of my financial reach for a very long time...

Some things came together and now I was able to afford one and it was going out for fun like my other trucks..
Does the truck look bad ass?...yes, is it kind of an out of reach vehicle for some?...yes..But if it didn't perform as I needed all that stuff doesn't mean a thing to me...
I had no idea that only about 50% of Raptor owners didn't take their truck off road....It never occurred to me people would buy a truck like this because "its cool"...and not use it for some type of off roading...BUT that's simply me being naive....

Thank you for the congratulations.

It sounds like you are using your raptor for exactly what it was intended and built for. Good for you. Yes when you do not have access to geography like you do in California , the raptor turns into a trophy truck. You can do the same exact things with a lot less when you live east of Colorado, and for a lot less money. It's probably more like 80 percent of raptors are trophy trucks. To answer your question, yes people do buy the raptor because of ego, and I fell right into that trap twice.

I think because I am a little older I understand the difference between " need and want and must have". When you are young with blind folders on you sometimes make decisions based on ego and looks.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stock raptor is overkill, unless you are desert racing or a 18-25 year old kid, which each of those I am not. The raptor needs nothing except dedicated snow tires and maybe a better sounding exhaust.

You're the same guy that says we shouldn't own AR 15s at all because they're "overkill" for hunting. Your attitude and "feelings" are WTF is wrong with so much of our country already. You should just **** of FRF and go somewhere else to express your "feelings".

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're the same guy that says we shouldn't own AR 15s at all because they're "overkill" for hunting. Your attitude and "feelings" are WTF is wrong with so much of our country already. You should just **** of FRF and go somewhere else to express your "feelings".

I hope all is good in Virginia. Again I did not intend for this thread to turn into a 2015-2016 republican debate. Hopefully after 2020 the country will be back on the right track and life will be good again in Virginia. Have a nice day.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that there are 2 fairly distinct groups, you either use the truck Offroad or you dont. The later has taken over FRF and old school FRF guys can chime on how much the DNA here has changed. Last year I put 25K miles on my Gen 2 through Baja, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, CA, etc. I upgraded the suspension but that wasn’t enough and am moving to mid travel. These truck takes you places you’d never see, with other like minded people, at speed. What’s more fun than bombing through the desert at 100mph, eating tacos and drinking tequila with some great like minded people?

Get out and explore

That is exactly right and on point.

Excellent description. Glad to see you are enjoying your raptor for what it is made for.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You clearly live under a bridge and like to stir the pot that brews your troll soup.

Obviously you understand need vs want. You want to spend nearly as much if not more on a luxury vehicle that you also won’t fully utilize to its potential and most definitely do not need. Great replacement plan for the Raptor. So much wisdom comes from your older age.

What you need is a base trim tundra running studded snow tires year round.
Although, you won’t ever max out its payload or towing capability and you’ll look like an idiot running studded tires in the summer, but that’s kinda your thing so it fits.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have found that there are 2 fairly distinct groups, you either use the truck Offroad or you dont. The later has taken over FRF and old school FRF guys can chime on how much the DNA here has changed. Last year I put 25K miles on my Gen 2 through Baja, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, CA, etc. I upgraded the suspension but that wasn’t enough and am moving to mid travel. These truck takes you places you’d never see, with other like minded people, at speed. What’s more fun than bombing through the desert at 100mph, eating tacos and drinking tequila with some great like minded people?

Get out and explore

this. If you want to use it for more than pavement pounding... then get out there and do it!

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clearly, we disagree on this.
I really have no clue why you bought a raptor.

This is my second raptor and yes it has taken me 2 vehicles to realize that this is not the right truck for my day in and day out use. I am not blaming the truck. It was terrible foresight on my part. And I own the truck outright, so it's not a issue of bank payments.

The Ford Raptor is the best all around truck out there, although it is very purpose built. Again not complaining about the truck, more bad decision making on my part.

And the thread was not started to bash the raptor, I love the truck. The thread was started to just see who is actually using the truck for what it was built for , which is desert off roading. And I think if you look at the responses on this thread, the people using the raptor for what it was made for live predominantly out west. for people on the east coast it is a ego trophy truck and that unfortunately includes myself.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You clearly live under a bridge and like to stir the pot that brews your troll soup.

Obviously you understand need vs want. You want to spend nearly as much if not more on a luxury vehicle that you also won’t fully utilize to its potential and most definitely do not need. Great replacement plan for the Raptor. So much wisdom comes from your older age.

What you need is a base trim tundra running studded snow tires year round.
Although, you won’t ever max out its payload or towing capability and you’ll look like an idiot running studded tires in the summer, but that’s kinda your thing so it fits.

Actually better yet a LX 570. But thank you for the advice.

GaRaptor

Reaction score
I'm a cattle farmer and land steward in west Georgia. The Raptor is the PERFECT truck for me and everything I do . I will NEVER be without one of these trucks as long as I live lol ... spend a lot of time offroad , checking pastures and feeding up . This has been the wettest winter in my lifetime and I have absolutely thrashed this truck and still haven't been stuck one time yet .... lots of time on rough dirt roads , but now I can run 45 + mph and its smooth as can be... people can't believe how smooth it is at high speeds off road. I've actually scared a couple of passengers with how comfortable I am hauling ass on dirt roads... great truck! a633fefaff60f67eb7bd5759402d5e2b.jpg375e8f963fef586462f02d6273860184.jpgc3b1afef7d8f14bd716a87bb227f1c00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk