GBrown 1867 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GBrown1867

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first stared to going to the Baja races one of the things that impressed me about the trucks is how they are setup, that if you have a mechanical problem everything you need is easy to get to. When building my truck this is something I have tried to do also. Kartec sells this spare lug nut holder and we welded it on last week.
62864d9b9ae3b99c97ba7e519ee8ba5b.jpg
1039b7c00bf4e3d72dc5075076963a69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GBrown1867

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what is the warranty on the Howie set up ? and do they offer a fan option with the system ?

I doubt there is much warranty due to the fact it is a racing application. As far as a fan, I don't think so. But your after market trans cooler fan would blow more air and the PS cooler is mounted in front and the radiator fans should pull enough air through.

OP
OP
GBrown1867

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can tell I am on a roll updating my build. Haha
Another issue I have been having is, after my build was completed I lost the ability to use my offroad mode. No ABS and a new rear end.
I have been talking with Mike at 5 Star and he has written a custom tune for my truck. He has written so my tow/haul button will now activate a custom offroad mode. I will be downloading it today and will see how it works. Tough to really tell on the street and it will be a couple of weeks before I am in the dirt.
Mike has said he will make any changes I need/want to get it so it performs its best. Great customer service.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He has written so "my tow/haul button will now activate a custom offroad mode".

WTH? You're ******** with the Haul Ass button! Are you modifying your "Jill Descent" button as well?

I'm assuming, when you modified your Raptor, the Off-Road button wasn't included.

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can tell I am on a roll updating my build. Haha
Another issue I have been having is, after my build was completed I lost the ability to use my offroad mode. No ABS and a new rear end.
I have been talking with Mike at 5 Star and he has written a custom tune for my truck. He has written so my tow/haul button will now activate a custom offroad mode. I will be downloading it today and will see how it works. Tough to really tell on the street and it will be a couple of weeks before I am in the dirt.
Mike has said he will make any changes I need/want to get it so it performs its best. Great customer service.

Sounds interesting I'd be curious on how this mod works, with that said I'd like to use something like this on the 11

OP
OP
GBrown1867

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another problem I have been dealing with is, my rear fenders have been star cracking from rocks being kicked up from the underside.
bce708203be839d7108341f3c1ca1314.jpg

So I pulled the bedsides.
804a306170e9cfaea1b87c003a50e430.jpg

Then I took the fenders to have just the top of the inner fender Line X. Sorry for the crappy picture but the bedsides were back on.
965649e97c91c507807e636d37b433dc.jpg

I had spoken with Barrett (captcabo) who builds boats for a living and he felt this would give me the best protection.

OP
OP
GBrown1867

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTH? You're ******** with the Haul Ass button! Are you modifying your "Jill Descent" button as well?

I'm assuming, when you modified your Raptor, the Off-Road button wasn't included.

I will never be towing anything. Since the ABS system has been removed due to the long travel setup, the off-road button does not work. The off-road button still goes through the ECU so does not work and the hill decent does not work either. That's why he went for the tow haul.

The reason I am trying to get more transmission and throttle control is:
With the linked suspension you HAVE to drive with two feet. One on the gas and one on the brake. If you try to drive one footed, when you accelerate the nose comes up and under braking the rear lifts over a foot. So when driving one footed it feels like you are on a teeter totter and the truck is very unstable.
So now when driving with two feet the next thing you have to learn is the Scandinavian Flick used by rally drivers. As you are heading into the turn, tap the brakes turn the opposite direction of the turn, accelerate and turn the direction you want to go. As the rear end starts to slide around the turn, steer with the back of the truck sliding using the gas and brake to maintain your turn.
So with no off-road mode I drive in manual mode. With out off-road mode the truck will not shift into 2nd at higher RPM using the lever switch and I have to pull the shifter into 2nd. As I start to exit the turn and accelerate, I have to move the shifter into manual position, then switch up into 3rd as the truck is bouncing and drifting. Also while I am trying to brake, accelerate, and steer all at the same time.
So if I can gain the ability to shift from 3rd to 2nd and back to 3rd using the switch would be a huge help.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with no off-road mode I drive in manual mode. With out off-road mode the truck will not shift into 2nd at higher RPM using the lever switch and I have to pull the shifter into 2nd. As I start to exit the turn and accelerate, I have to move the shifter into manual position, then switch up into 3rd as the truck is bouncing and drifting. Also while I am trying to brake, accelerate, and steer all at the same time.

....made me think of this! :ROFLJest:
cyeGq71.gif