Fuel Related Issue - Code P0330

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim V

Reaction score
Took my ‘19 to the dealer for throwing a CEL w/ code P0330 - Random misfires (after sitting for weeks). Get a call back telling me they found the cause and that it would be $650+ to drop the tank and remove 30+ gals of fuel, flush fuel system, and replace w/ 93 octane as they are certain it was not 93 octane in the tank and that caused the misfires. Further, the charges would not be covered under warranty as all parts manufactured were fine, but issues caused by non equipment related external factors are not covered. I can find wording recommending using 91 octane and above (for top performance), but not seeing it is required. Not even 10k miles on it yet. After calling back and questioning the logic of any this, they are going to escalate regionally to get an answer. Does this make any darn sense to anyone or am I getting the runaround?

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total ********. It’s amazing that they would even suggest such a thing. Nonsense. If something got in the tank that contaminated the fuel, that would be different. But dropping the tank and flushing the fuel system for running 87 or 89 octane?!? Hahahahahahahahah. Find a new dealer.

That said, even if running lower octane was causing the misfiring, you could just drain the tank and refill it with 91. Ever heard of a siphon? But dropping the tank and flushing the system? Give me a break. It’s not like 87 octane fuel is harmful to the system or engine components. I mean it’s really absurd.

Last edited:

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my ‘19 to the dealer for throwing a CEL w/ code P0330 - Random misfires (after sitting for weeks). Get a call back telling me they found the cause and that it would be $650+ to drop the tank and remove 30+ gals of fuel, flush fuel system, and replace w/ 93 octane as they are certain it was not 93 octane in the tank and that caused the misfires. Further, the charges would not be covered under warranty as all parts manufactured were fine, but issues caused by non equipment related external factors are not covered. I can find wording recommending using 91 octane and above (for top performance), but not seeing it is required. Not even 10k miles on it yet. After calling back and questioning the logic of any this, they are going to escalate regionally to get an answer. Does this make any darn sense to anyone or am I getting the runaround?

what the heck!!! I’ve ran 87 in mine before. heck the highest all I can find around me is 91

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something doesn’t smell right here. I’ve run 87, 89 and 91 octane gas in both my 2018 and 2019 Raptors without issue. Are you running a tune?

OP
OP
T

Tim V

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking as well. I know businesses are hurting now, but come on. No tune, 100% bone stock, so I can’t understand the response. If it’s due to something I did incorrectly fine, but just filling up the tank, not buying it. Happy Friday all.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick Google search revealed the following;

Code P0330 Meaning

Knock sensors are solely used for the purpose of sensing when your engine is “knocking,” or sensing when there is exploding in the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can also damage the engine if prolonged. When the engine “knocks” there is an excessive amount of NOx that is released. When trouble code P0330 is set, this means that the knock sensor 2 in Bank 2 is not operating properly.

Symptoms of Code P0330
  • Check Engine Light
  • Loss of engine power
  • No noticeable drivability issues
Causes of Code P0330
  • Faulty sensor 2 Bank 2 knock sensor
  • Engine is running excessively lean
  • Faulty or damaged knock sensor wiring
  • Engine coolant system fault

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

As others have mentioned, these engines are designed to run fuel octane ranging from 87 to 93 octane. Running 87 reduces will induce knock, resulting in the PCM pulling timing and boost to protect the engine. This causes a reduction in HP, torque, and fuel economy. However, it should not induce a DTC or cause a misfire.

There is definitely more to the story than you've been told. It's entirely possible you got a bad tank of fuel or the fuel station had the wrong fuel in the pump (E85 instead of 87, for example). However, how did the dealer determine that? Did they test the fuel for ethanol? Does the fuel have a varnish/stale odor that leads them to believe it's bad?

The other question is why the truck is setting a circuit related DTC for an issue they're claiming is caused by bad fuel. DTC P0330 is as follows; it has nothing to do with the grade or quality of fuel. This is evidenced by the possible causes.

P0330 - Knock/Combustion Vibration Sensor 2 Circuit (Bank 2)

Description: This DTC sets when the voltage goes outside a calibrated level. The knock sensor bank 2, sensor 1 (KS21) detects vibrations upon increase and decrease in engine RPM. The KS21 sensor generates a voltage based on this vibration.
Possible Causes:
  • KS21 circuit open
  • KS21RTN circuit open
  • KS21 circuit short to voltage
  • KS21RTN circuit short to voltage
  • KS21 circuit short to ground
  • KS21RTN circuit short to ground
  • Damaged KS21
Diagnostic Aids: A KS21 sensor voltage greater than 0.5 volt with the ignition ON, engine OFF, indicates a concern is present.
The vehicle may need to be driven for several minutes to set this DTC.

My recommendation is to get more information from the dealer. Clarify that the DTC is P0330, find out if there are any other DTCs set, and ask how they concluded that you have bad fuel in the tank. You may want to put a call into Ford CRC to request corporate involvement if you can't get any satisfactory answers from the dealer.

OP
OP
T

Tim V

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. You are a wealth of knowledge. I will ask detailed questions regarding the above when I speak with them today. Never would have come up with any of this on my own. These things are a long way from simply adjusting a carb on a smallblock 350 back in the day! Keep you all posted with what I learn. Thanks again.