FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made an appointment for Galpin in Los Angeles and they said they dont have the software for it which made no sense to me but w/e so they ended up canceling it.

Crap like this makes me wish more and more service was done by Ford Factory and not moron dealerships

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made an appointment for Galpin in Los Angeles and they said they dont have the software for it which made no sense to me but w/e so they ended up canceling it.

Crap like this makes me wish more and more service was done by Ford Factory and not moron dealerships
We can dream.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard it changes the duty cycle of the phasers to reduce the locking/unlocking cycles that occur while driving in order to reduce wear. The new calibration applies to all models built up to 11/30/2019. The redesigned new phaser design went into production that same month. Trucks built after 11/30 would already have the newest part and latest calibration.
Thanks for this and many, many other helpful answers!

2ManyHobbies

Reaction score
So now in addition to the rattle on startup this morning my truck took an abnormally long time to crank up. Like a solid 5-8 seconds of cranking after I pressed the button. It made the phaser rattle sound the whole time. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I've not used this dealer before so I guess we'll see what happens.

2ManyHobbies

Reaction score
So now in addition to the rattle on startup this morning my truck took an abnormally long time to crank up. Like a solid 5-8 seconds of cranking after I pressed the button. It made the phaser rattle sound the whole time. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I've not used this dealer before so I guess we'll see what happens.
Ok. So to update my post. I just had the software change done to my truck. Mine had developed the phaser rattle and transmission shudder about 3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten to cold start it yet since It was still warm when I picked it up from the dealer this afternoon. So we will see in the morning how it goes. I'm not sure how the PCM update could help my truck since it already has the rattle and so I'm assuming it has the broken plastic piece in the phaser. Mine was very consistently rattling on cold start so it should be easy to see if it worked or not. fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. So to update my post. I just had the software change done to my truck. Mine had developed the phaser rattle and transmission shudder about 3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten to cold start it yet since It was still warm when I picked it up from the dealer this afternoon. So we will see in the morning how it goes. I'm not sure how the PCM update could help my truck since it already has the rattle and so I'm assuming it has the broken plastic piece in the phaser. Mine was very consistently rattling on cold start so it should be easy to see if it worked or not. fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.
I’m curious and would love it to solve your problem. Would be a help for others too. But I thought once the phaser problem developed, new parts were needed. The software is preventative no?

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it fixes your rattle!

I had the TSB performed today. I have a 2019 with just under 13,000 miles and no rattle. The service adviser asked if I have the rattle. She claimed that Ford wants them to try the TSB even if it already has a rattle.

She said if the TSB doesn't cure the rattle then they are to perform the repair. I don't know how accurate her information is, but I thought I'd share her comments. Again, it will be interesting to hear from you tomorrow. Good luck!!!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope it fixes your rattle!

I had the TSB performed today. I have a 2019 with just under 13,000 miles and no rattle. The service adviser asked if I have the rattle. She claimed that Ford wants them to try the TSB even if it already has a rattle.

She said if the TSB doesn't cure the rattle then they are to perform the repair. I don't know how accurate her information is, but I thought I'd share her comments. Again, it will be interesting to hear from you tomorrow. Good luck!!!
Nothing noticeable at all from a driveability standpoint you have detected thus far from the update?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had the rattle for 3 years now - it only is a noise and it doesn't happen every cold start. I'm still weary to have them touch the truck because it runs like a top.