Front Shock Body Separation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the outer shock body from the lower cap? It looks like it just screws on but holding the body seems like it would be tough. I'm sure its super tight and probably a little corroded so i'm curious if anyone has been able to get it apart? Strap wrench on the body and a steel bar through the lower bolt hole? I'd like to separate it so i can replace the lower bushing as well as powder coat the body and it would be easier if they were separated.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need soft jaws for your (very securely mounted) vice that are round to clamp the shock body securely. And yes, they are tight.

Then you need this to hold the shaft to do the piston nut-

Really though, buy 3.0's. Rebuilding the stock 2.5's is such a waste of time.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is indeed threaded in there.. you may need to apply some heat, but i took mine to a local hydraulic cylinder shop and they got them loose for me.
Thanks man. Do you remember if there were 1 or 2 O-rings on that part? Looking at the pictures it looks like there are 2 grooves that could house an O-ring. SDHQ said there was one above the threads but didn't comment on the other groove, which is also above the threads.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks man. Do you remember if there were 1 or 2 O-rings on that part? Looking at the pictures it looks like there are 2 grooves that could house an O-ring. SDHQ said there was one above the threads but didn't comment on the other groove, which is also above the threads

Looks like one to me.. Screenshot_20230207-133111_Google.jpg