Forscan changes - tweak your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about Hill Descent Mode...

I had the chance to use mine this weekend (no changes with Forscan so far) and my Hill Control seems to be working perfectly. So what doess the Forscan "enable" actually do?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys hear they are able to fully decode all this stuff now? Takes a separate piece of hardware and software to pull it all. Also tedious to verify, since as they decode it they have to verify it matches actual truck programming out in the wild. Once it's done, we will be able to know exactly what every line of code is for and what all the options are for each line. One of the modules was already decoded and posted.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You guys hear they are able to fully decode all this stuff now? Takes a separate piece of hardware and software to pull it all. Also tedious to verify, since as they decode it they have to verify it matches actual truck programming out in the wild. Once it's done, we will be able to know exactly what every line of code is for and what all the options are for each line. One of the modules was already decoded and posted.

What does this mean? I'm not too tech savvy but did manage to meander my way through the changes I wanted to make that are listed on the spreadsheet.

Are we talking about stuff like being able to make the mirror side spotlights come on automatically when we get out of the truck, or being able to scroll through all the radio presets from the steering wheel? Those are the 2 things I would really like.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm saying that we will know exactly what every line is code is responsible for, and what every option is for every line of code.

Before we were guessing- looking at one truck and another and figuring out the differences, then finding those same differences in the code. For example, by comparing two 100% identical trucks, you could find the DRL setting by comparing a US truck to a Canadian truck.

There is still a whole bunch of code we have no idea what it does, but that's about to change. They are working on decoding the 15+ trucks, and the 09-14 trucks as well. Some of the full decode has been posted already for at least one module on the 15+ trucks.

What you can and can't do are simply limitations of the hardware itself. If the spotlight hardware can do what you want it to do given the software commands we can send it- then yes- you could do that.

If not, then no. If it's not able to accept a command from it's controlling module that will make it do what you want, no amount of software will change that. For example- you cannot do auto open windows on a 09-14, or autofold mirrors. The power window motor hardware in the 09-14 trucks is not capable of accepting any type of command to make it do that.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Gotcha. I knew it would be module dependent on what was possible. I guess I was asking if you suspect there are other "useful" things to be found. Not just decoding things to geek out.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I knew it would be module dependent on what was possible. I guess I was asking if you suspect there are other "useful" things to be found. Not just decoding things to geek out.
Looks like yours is an 18 like mine, There is so many YouTube videos on stuff that can be done it'll make your head spin. Today I turned on the gauge numbers and the auto start stop turned off for good. Luckily I had all the hardware from tinkering with my old truck and all I had to do was re do my license agreement.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this information...and we still can NOT get a real oil pressure sender. Ours is just basically an idiot light switch, set to who knows what PSI to trigger, hooked up to a 'fake' pressure display.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just wish we had an oil temp gauge. coolant temp does not give you a true indication of how hot your motor is. it is designed to get to 200-220 degrees and stay there.

but oil temp will fluctuate from 195 - 220 in normal driving, and push 240 when you are working the motor hard. would be nice to see when that happens and be aware when temps go above that.