Ford Raptor Ordering Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRaptor7

Reaction score
So in 2010, I had just gotten out of college and had been saving money to purchase my first real vehicle (bought an old Ford Ranger when I turned 16 to save money). It came down to a Ford Raptor or a Lotus Elise and being the car nut that I am, I chose the Lotus Elise. Eventually I realized that I needed a second vehicle because daily driving my Elise became very brutal so I bought a used '08 Silverado from a local dealer. After almost three years I have decided that it's time to go the other way so the Elise is on the chopping block and I plan to trade the Silverado for a new Raptor.

Let me start by saying this is a great community and I tried to search for the answers to my questions but there are a few I am still unclear about. The Elise and the Silverado are paid off so I have that and I can always finance the difference as that is a non-issue. My two concerns are how to go about ordering one and how the dealer will handle the trade situation while the truck is on order. Do I just go to a dealer and say "Hey, I need to order a 2013 Raptor!" or do I email them first trying to negotiate on a price. Do I pay for the truck up front and wait for the order to come in? I kept seeing something about a deposit so I fairly certain that answers my previous question but just throwing that out there. As far as the trade on the Silverado, I assume the dealer will not quote me a value until the truck comes in and I actually bring the Silverado in for the trade. Is this a normal practice in ordering a new vehicle (having a trade that you keep until the new vehicle comes in). Thanks for any advice and pardon my ignorance as I have never ordered or purchased a new vehicle before.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buying a Raptor is like buying any other car. Go order your raptor. Most dealerships will require a deposit (most likely no more than 1k). When you order your raptor, the dealership and you will agree on a price. When it comes in, you will bring in your Silverado and trade it in. Of course you will be responsible for the difference.

So in 2010, I had just gotten out of college and had been saving money to purchase my first real vehicle (bought an old Ford Ranger when I turned 16 to save money). It came down to a Ford Raptor or a Lotus Elise and being the car nut that I am, I chose the Lotus Elise. Eventually I realized that I needed a second vehicle because daily driving my Elise became very brutal so I bought a used '08 Silverado from a local dealer. After almost three years I have decided that it's time to go the other way so the Elise is on the chopping block and I plan to trade the Silverado for a new Raptor.

Let me start by saying this is a great community and I tried to search for the answers to my questions but there are a few I am still unclear about. The Elise and the Silverado are paid off so I have that and I can always finance the difference as that is a non-issue. My two concerns are how to go about ordering one and how the dealer will handle the trade situation while the truck is on order. Do I just go to a dealer and say "Hey, I need to order a 2013 Raptor!" or do I email them first trying to negotiate on a price. Do I pay for the truck up front and wait for the order to come in? I kept seeing something about a deposit so I fairly certain that answers my previous question but just throwing that out there. As far as the trade on the Silverado, I assume the dealer will not quote me a value until the truck comes in and I actually bring the Silverado in for the trade. Is this a normal practice in ordering a new vehicle (having a trade that you keep until the new vehicle comes in). Thanks for any advice and pardon my ignorance as I have never ordered or purchased a new vehicle before.

Last edited:

ejlmoney

Reaction score
You are in pretty much the exact situation that I am in. I'm trading in a '06 Lincoln Mark LT for a newly ordered Raptor.

Obviously, you'll want to know the Kelley Blue Book prices for your Silverado.

My dealer was familar with my truck as I've gone there for my service the past few years. Most dealers will want to see and review your truck before making a trade-in offer.

My recommendation would be to stop in to a couple of dealerships and have them price out a new Raptor and then make a trade-in offer on your truck. Make it clear you are shopping around. Obviously, it's the total offer that matters.

My dealer provided both a firm price for my Raptor as well as my trade-in. I know exactly what I'm getting for each vehicle and what I will be financing. We put everything on paper but he was pretty clear the purchase order will need to be re-done once we have a VIN for the Raptor.
My dealership did not require a deposit...but I would certainly understand if they did.

Oh, my dealer did mention that I would still qualify if Ford offers any incentives at the actual time I take delivery and make the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
E

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

IMO, you definitely want to have prices down before making the commitment to order from one dealer or another.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are in pretty much the exact situation that I am in. I'm trading in a '06 Lincoln Mark LT for a newly ordered Raptor.

Obviously, you'll want to know the Kelley Blue Book prices for your Silverado.

My dealer was familar with my truck as I've gone there for my service the past few years. Most dealers will want to see and review your truck before making a trade-in offer.

My recommendation would be to stop in to a couple of dealerships and have them price out a new Raptor and then make a trade-in offer on your truck. Make it clear you are shopping around. Obviously, it's the total offer that matters.

My dealer provided both a firm price for my Raptor as well as my trade-in. I know exactly what I'm getting for each vehicle and what I will be financing. We put everything on paper but he was pretty clear the purchase order will need to be re-done once we have a VIN for the Raptor.
My dealership did not require a deposit...but I would certainly understand if they did.

Oh, my dealer did mention that I would still qualify if Ford offers any incentives at the actual time I take delivery and make the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
E

Hate to bust your bubble there are NO offers/incentives/a,b,c,d,x,y,z plans on Ford Raptors..

-Greg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
morning..........

the lotus elise, one of the most painful vehicles to work on. its also a toyota mr2 on crack.

go to a dealer and talk to them in person, dont email. if you are there in person they will take you more seriously as a potential customer.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered my raptor mostly with email and some phone conversation. Never got a chance to go out in person since they're out in Cali

tjj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting responses in this thread so far..

You seem to have good taste in cars with the Elise and wanting a Raptor. How did you wind up with a Chevy? Nasty ;)

I am envious of your DD'ing a Lotus. Can't really get away with that with OR weather but an Exige is on my list for next year. Track days!

My strategy for any car purchase after narrowing down the options of what I want is to visit Edmunds or Truecar and figure out what I'm willing to pay.

After that it's easy to submit information requests through dealer's websites and you can generally end up with internet or fleet manager. Then it's easy - tell them what you want and what you're willing to pay. They either work out a deal or you move on to the next dealer. If you're not willing to walk or "NEED" this truck you're already on a slippery slope. Or some guys who don't mind paying markups off the lot (I'll never understand this regardless of income but..whatev)

Nice thing about this community is obviously the wealth of information. This truck can be had for 500-1000 over invoice as you have probably read. With that in mind, pick your contact method of choice and find a dealer and place your order. You shouldn't need to put a deposit down (they won't have a problem selling a Raptor) but if they insist, nothing over 1k.