Ford penny pinching on 2020's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
C

Crunchtime2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day its a bad look and boils down to greed.

removing the shift light was really dumb as the markings literally serve no purpose as you really don't know which position the selector is in unless looking at the dash. It does not kill me but it feels broken in a way.

I understand reducing cost but on a flagship top end ford vehicle these petty moves should not take place, as far as the people that say well 20 cents is so much multiplied by so many trucks, yes it is but it does not change anything, its still bad for the consumer which we are, vote with your wallet they will change.

Sadly I've seen it on tesla model s cars at $120k+ over the years. Not in such a in your face noticeable way but little things under the hood and behind panels. Great vehicle by the way, nothing pulls as hard as a P100D luda.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At the end of the day its a bad look and boils down to greed.

removing the shift light was really dumb as the markings literally serve no purpose as you really don't know which position the selector is in unless looking at the dash. It does not kill me but it feels broken in a way.

I understand reducing cost but on a flagship top end ford vehicle these petty moves should not take place, as far as the people that say well 20 cents is so much multiplied by so many trucks, yes it is but it does not change anything, its still bad for the consumer which we are, vote with your wallet they will change.

Sadly I've seen it on tesla model s cars at $120k+ over the years. Not in such a in your face noticeable way but little things under the hood and behind panels. Great vehicle by the way, nothing pulls as hard as a P100D luda.

Far from greed. In case you haven't noticed, auto manufacturers these are in the midst of trying to remain relevant as various alternatives and "startups" try to disrupt the standard. You can never be too prepared. Tesla vehicles have no instruments aside from their center screen displays; yet their strange demographic seem to embrace it because it's "clean" looking, never mind the fact that the interiors are literally KIA quality.

The shift lights in the console were redundant. It is much more intuitive for a driver to look at the Instrument Cluster in front of them than to look down at a console pattern; these types of decisions are entirely abased on market data. They don't just determine such things based on a prediction or isolated feedback, it's intrinsic.

I have never once looked down at my shift lever when changing gear as the pattern is displayed clearly in the Instrument Cluster. A lighted shift pattern in the console is not something I use.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Tesla buyers don’t see big picture on why the interior dashboard is so sparse. The reason behind it? Full autonomous driving is coming sooner than most people think. They are staying ahead of the curve.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's true. Kids today will never get to experience seeing 8 track tape strewn in the grass all along the roads, from people getting pissed off and throwing them out the window.

:Big Laugh: Omg, I haven't thought of that in a long time! My other favorite was having to fast forward several minutes to replay a damn song, and then it may eat your tape while you're at it too. Not to mention needing a tape case that was the size of a suitcase. You forget what a pain in the balls that stuff was.

OP
OP
C

Crunchtime2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far from greed. In case you haven't noticed, auto manufacturers these are in the midst of trying to remain relevant as various alternatives and "startups" try to disrupt the standard. You can never be too prepared. Tesla vehicles have no instruments aside from their center screen displays; yet their strange demographic seem to embrace it because it's "clean" looking, never mind the fact that the interiors are literally KIA quality.

The shift lights in the console were redundant. It is much more intuitive for a driver to look at the Instrument Cluster in front of them than to look down at a console pattern; these types of decisions are entirely abased on market data. They don't just determine such things based on a prediction or isolated feedback, it's intrinsic.

I have never once looked down at my shift lever when changing gear as the pattern is displayed clearly in the Instrument Cluster. A lighted shift pattern in the console is not something I use.

If some shift lights are going to take ford down , man they are weak. Your view is clearly skewed and you fail to see it. Please cite the market research where customers asked for some basic lights to to be removed from a 75k top tier truck.

you also failed to read my tesla post , i clearly said things behind the scenes were removed , not the cabin , yes the approach is simplistic and its good for the cars use case. I dont think you will see past the fan boi goggles you have on.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If some shift lights are going to take ford down , man they are weak. Your view is clearly skewed and you fail to see it. Please cite the market research where customers asked for some basic lights to to be removed from a 75k top tier truck.

you also failed to read my tesla post , i clearly said things behind the scenes were removed , not the cabin , yes the approach is simplistic and its good for the cars use case. I dont think you will see past the fan boi goggles you have on.

I’ve been asking for these case studies/surveys from him as well. He just talks around it.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Check out the KIA forum, I suspect they have lights adjacent to the shifter for those who can’t figure out what gear their vehicle is in.

The rest of us will keep our eyes up and look at the (2) dash displays as you continue to attempt alienate one of the few people on this forum with actual empirical knowledge on these trucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.