Ford penny pinching on 2020's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchtime2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys , i came from a mid year mfg'd 2018 802a , to a new 2020 802a.

I noticed the 2020 no longer has lighted front usb port surrounds and the rear cupholders behind the center console are now closed off without the spring loaded fingers that help with smaller cups....

Are you 2020 owners noticing the same things? its pretty sad for the cost of the truck.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention the USB port. My 2020 didn't have a lighted one, but took it in for a CarPlay problem and they replaced it with one that lights up. Still didn't fix the issues, but now I have a lighted USB port.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well.....sad to say...but that is their job...to pinch pennies

Have you looked at Ford's stock price. They have to milk every last penny out of a top earner like the Raptor. If the lighted usb cost .25 more then the un lit one.....x 1 million units on all f150s....$250k saved does not go unnoticed. When they do that level of saving on 100's of parts...it all adds up.

Last edited:

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford definitely seems to be in budget mode and it shows in the interiors of almost all of their new cars. Seems they are starting to backslide into the horrible interiors of the late 2000s.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap.... You get no lights for USB and no lights for PRND shifter. Pretty sad that's the route they're taking.

When you cheap out on one thing, it's minor. When you cheap out on multiple things, it definitely noticeable. Just like a car... You have one ding on the door, you can live with with, but when you have dozen dings, it now looks like an old beater.

Reaction score
Can you replace the cup holder part in the 2020 with one that is spring loaded? Anyone know that part number?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could probably do the mod yourself? It looks kind of like a rubber band or actually a large o-ring that makes them spring loaded.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeap.... You get no lights for USB and no lights for PRND shifter. Pretty sad that's the route they're taking.

When you cheap out on one thing, it's minor. When you cheap out on multiple things, it definitely noticeable. Just like a car... You have one ding on the door, you can live with with, but when you have dozen dings, it now looks like an old beater.

In the industry it's called de-contenting. The idea is to remove redundancies and unnecessary details without going so far as to have the consumer notice or be dissatisfied. How well they succeeded in that endeavor is ultimately determined by us, the consumer.

The deletion of the illuminated shift pattern is not something I object to. The shift indicator is in the Instrument Cluster; there is no reason to look down at night to see what gear it's in when it's literally illuminated right in front of you.

I've had the illuminated USB ports before and I think it's a nice touch. Unfortunately they seem to have not made the cut. I didn't even notice the cup holder change; good catch. I think those spring loaded fingers were useful.

Reactions: OBX
Status
Not open for further replies.