Ford penny pinching on 2020's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t understand what all the fuss is about the lack of lighted gear position lights on the console. 14 months and 17k miles, I’ve never once looked down to see them, especially considering they are on the dash along with the 1-10 display. If Ford saved 12 cents a unit omitting them its money well saved in my opinion. But that’s just me....

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
I don’t understand what all the fuss is about the lack of lighted gear position lights on the console. 14 months and 17k miles, I’ve never once looked down to see them, especially considering they are on the dash along with the 1-10 display. If Ford saved 12 cents a unit omitting them its money well saved in my opinion. But that’s just me....

It's just a pet peeve. With gated shifters you don't even have to look down. You pull the handle down and a bit to the side and you're in. You have to do a lot do NOT be in drive. But it's not a gated shifter so people tend to look to verify they're in drive and not neutral or other.

When some of us have been driving for 30 years, and you look down to see what gear you're in, and now that doesn't work, it's a little irritating is all. In the dark is mostly the problem....

Same as why most cars light up the garage door opener buttons and on my 70K truck they're an after thought by some cheap 3rd party group, they're not lit and I will fumble to locate them until I get used to it. It's just tacky and cheap because most, if not all, other controls are lit up. Again, in the dark.

Same as why most cars have a locking fuel door and Ford trucks (or mostly trucks) don't. Just cheap and tacky.

Penny pinching is great... for FORD. But not for people who spend this kind of money on a frikin vehicle.

Justify it all you want but this is a forum and THIS is the place to voice this kind of stuff!

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Do automakers employ people to work social media and lurk on forums today? I think they can surely learn a lot and more than just doing random 200 people surveys at an event.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 136774
you and smurfslayer must be besties. Do y’all braid each other hair on weekend sleepovers. Stay up all night coming up with terrible jokes. #1lessoldfuck

How the heck did you know that??!! We normally just put on our onesies, read Teen Magazine, and do our nails and shit. All in a very manly way, of course.

onesie.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crunchtime2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets also add removal of the rear seat hand grip level to fold up and the new addition of a pull cord for the bottom portion to match the top..... man i wonder what other hidden changes were made to other areas.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But it's not a gated shifter so people tend to look to verify they're in drive and not neutral or other.

When some of us have been driving for 30 years, and you look down to see what gear you're in, and now that doesn't work, it's a little irritating is all. In the dark is mostly the problem....

!

Not sure about other Gen2 years, but on my 2019, I initially engage the shift lever release enough to move the shifter beyond reverse, pull back as far as the lever will go, the shifter hits the detent and it stops in Drive, every time. I also feel the truck drop into gear. If for some reason I need to confirm position, I keep my eyes up and look at the (2) lighted displays directly in front of me.

Not unlike me driving manual transmission vehicles for 50 years, I don't know if I've ever looked at the shifter to determine what gear I'm in. Not sure how one could even know by looking at the shifter, but I sure know by bouncing across the neutral gate a few times and putting the shifter in it's desired location.

Status
Not open for further replies.