Forced to change our name

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep,

From our understanding, For trade marked "Raptor" so it's application specific. If we were selling books on the dinosaur then we would be fine. But because we are selling parts to make the Raptor better, I guess that's a no-no.

Live and learn. I'll be curious to see how many others this may affect.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I can do that. The worst part about this is I just ordered 2500 business cards, 100 t-shirts, about 300 stickers and wrapped the truck. Talk about bad timing.

A few years ago there was a similar issue with trademark issues regarding "Ford" and "Mustang" forums. Nothing really came out from it since the forums didn't change their name to remove "Ford" or "Mustang" from it.

It really sucks, especially since you ordered all those advertising items. At the very least, Ford should understand what companies like yours are trying to do and allow you to use their name, and even possibly sell your parts on their Raptors from factory, but that's just wishful thinking lol.

rasco

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dear RPG Offroad. I'd like to order a ______ for the ______ on my _______ _______
Thanks, can you ship it via ________

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If RPG said it was the Ford F150 Raptor performance group you have a problem. But if you change to a common reference such as Raptor then your protected from any infringement suit unless you began producing a Raptor Truck.... But as mentioned it is just a letter sent by people with too much time on there hands. Having sat in on a meeting of proverbial chest thumpers it goes like this... Hey who is the lowest paid guy here.. Send that guy to find people using or even making a reference to a name we use and have them begin sending letters to every single company that even remotely looks like we could threaten them. Of course were not going to really do anything and dragging our name out in this manner will look bad for us, just send the letters.... Of course we know how well the Mustang deal went.. Some closed most said **** OFF FORD... Ford went quietly off and really made no pretense that they would come after anyone for anything. It is in Fords best interest to keep the aftermarket alive and without the aftermarket the truck sales numbers would probably drop off like a rock... Lets face it in Fords mind if you list a part number selling shocks for a Ford vehicle your infringing on there sales, but Ford cannot afford to take on the entire aftermarket industry so says nothing...

RPG I would stand my ground and go to court the most your facing is a judge saying stop using it.. But the reality is right is on your side and you wont loose anything anyway. Ford can not afford to **** the rest of the world off and risk the entire aftermarket getting together and come after Ford.

I realize its always easier to fold under, but someone has to stand there ground and eventually they will..

This is my opinion and know advertising costs, know Fords blowing smoke and know its a risk reward deal..

As defined by Miriam Webster dictionary : Raptor

Raptor as defined by dictionary

: BIRD OF PREY
[New Latin -raptor (as in velociraptor)] : a usually small-to-medium-sized predatory dinosaur (as a velociraptor or deinonychus)
See raptor defined for English-language learners »
See raptor defined for kids »
Origin of RAPTOR
New Latin Raptores, former order name, from Latin, plural of raptor plunderer, from rapere
First Known Use: 1873

In general, any BIRD OF PREY, including OWLS. The raptors are sometimes restricted to EAGLES, FALCONS, HAWKS, and VULTURES (birds of the order Falconiformes), all diurnal predators that “seize and carry off” (Latin raptare) their prey.

Ford can not now or ever show they invented the word since Henry Ford was not in business before 1873..

If Ford could say they own the word Raptor, then of course the all forms of anyone using the word Raptor would have to cease using it.

Ford would have an uphill battle against Yamaha, Lockheed Martin, Toronto basketball team and so forth. The reason they use it without hesitation is they can and the Supreme court ruled against ownership of common names and numbers.. Otherwise I would own the number one and **** sesame street from now on you count 2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.20.... IMHO

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RPG I would stand my ground and go to court the most your facing is a judge saying stop using it.. But the reality is right is on your side and you wont loose anything anyway. Ford can not afford to **** the rest of the world off and risk the entire aftermarket getting together and come after Ford.

I realize its always easier to fold under, but someone has to stand there ground and eventually they will..

This is my opinion and know advertising costs, know Fords blowing smoke and know its a risk reward deal..

Ford would have an uphill battle against Yamaha, Lockheed Martin, Toronto basketball team and so forth. The reason they use it without hesitation is they can and the Supreme court ruled against ownership of common names and numbers.

* Don't quit your day job - it's obvious you're not a lawyer or a marketing expert
* Don't offer advice to companies on trademark issues if you have no expertise to support your position
* You knowing "Fords blowing smoke and know its a risk reward deal" is worth about as much to RPG as my knowing how to design a new suspension system
* Ford would have an "uphill battle against Yamaha, Lockheed Martin, Toronto basketball team" BECAUSE NONE OF THOSE COMPANIES ARE INVOLVED IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY.

FORD OWNS THE TRADEMARK "RAPTOR" WHEN IT COMES TO THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY.

Status
Not open for further replies.