GEN 2 Flat spot during acceleration.. ANY IDEAS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was that way also. Unless things have changed 3600 is where the EPA tests for noise levels and gas emissions. With an aftermarket tune mine is all but gone and I'm getting 2mpg better.

Last edited:

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18 has that same little dead spot. I actually notice it a lot more during light acceleration. Its absolutely not related to octane, or tire slipping since even under very light load it's there. About a year ago I read another thread commenting on this and virtually all the replies were "me too" i'm surprised that a year later no one seems to have this issue. In normal mode it's really noticeable from the 1-3 shift and less noticeable from 3-5. After that I don't notice it at all.

In that old thread there were even suggestions that perhaps a tune could program that dead spot out of it with other people that had tunes commenting back that it's still there with a tune (at least the ones available at the time)
Mine does it mostly under light throttle and I attributed it to a skip shift that probably shouldn't be. Skipping second or forth gear is probably too big a jump under light throttle. Almost like driving a manual and under light throttle missing third and going to fifth. Going to feel dead. Then I assume the computer kind of figures it out and adjusts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does it mostly under light throttle and I attributed it to a skip shift that probably shouldn't be. Skipping second or forth gear is probably too big a jump under light throttle. Almost like driving a manual and under light throttle missing third and going to fifth. Going to feel dead. Then I assume the computer kind of figures it out and adjusts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This sounds plausible to me. I've only really noticed it in normal mode under light throttle. Like I said in a previous post, it really hasn't bothered me enough to pay too close attention to it. Next time i'm driving around I'll test it out in tow/haul and sport modes which don't skip gears.

It may also be possible it isn't really skipping a gear. Our gauge cluster might be showing a 1-3 but mechanically it might actually be doing a 1-2-3, using 2nd very briefly and perhaps that throttle dip could be the actual shift into 3rd.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In normal mode it's really noticeable from the 1-3 shift and less noticeable from 3-5. After that I don't notice it at all.

In that old thread there were even suggestions that perhaps a tune could program that dead spot out of it with other people that had tunes commenting back that it's still there with a tune (at least the ones available at the time)

how are you going from 1st to 3rd at 3-4k rpms? Because to get it to do that you’d need to be either in manual and double tap the + button or paddle or it would shift to 2nd gear instead.

+1 @rtmozingo. I think based on ensuing discussion, he’s probably closer to the cause than I am.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how are you going from 1st to 3rd at 3-4k rpms? Because to get it to do that you’d need to be either in manual and double tap the + button or paddle or it would shift to 2nd gear instead.

+1 @rtmozingo. I think based on ensuing discussion, he’s probably closer to the cause than I am.

In normal mode 2nd is almost always skipped at least in my truck. No manual shifting, no double tapping of anything.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I can just barely touch 3k and get a 1-3 shift. if I see any more rpms, going to 2nd. She may skip to 4th if I’m just barely gassing it but still.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
In other words. It does skip gears, which is what I said.

Not at those rpms it doesn’t. Maybe your Raptor is magical?
or... 2017 with the original transmission programming; Have you ever had the PCM updated (whatever *** module that controls the transmission)? I did and I’d say it makes a difference at least in the willingness to downshift.

Initially, the dealer just hooked it up and said everything was fine, but I’d read here that the programming was improved. I’ve always hated the lazy normal mode shifting, which is just pure laziness on Ford’s part. Anyway, next service I told them to update to most current programming. Service guy balked and said they won’t unless we report a problem so I stammered a moment and said I had some erratic shifting. I didn’t, it’s nowhere near erratic and never was, just lazy in normal mode.

It was definitely less stubborn and more willing to downshift, particularly at road speeds.

Not that this really helps OP any.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or... 2017 with the original transmission programming; Have you ever had the PCM updated (whatever *** module that controls the transmission)? I did and I’d say it makes a difference at least in the willingness to downshift.

Initially, the dealer just hooked it up and said everything was fine, but I’d read here that the programming was improved. I’ve always hated the lazy normal mode shifting, which is just pure laziness on Ford’s part. Anyway, next service I told them to update to most current programming. Service guy balked and said they won’t unless we report a problem so I stammered a moment and said I had some erratic shifting. I didn’t, it’s nowhere near erratic and never was, just lazy in normal mode.

It was definitely less stubborn and more willing to downshift, particularly at road speeds.

Still good info - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Maybe you’re getting some posts mixed up because I didn’t specify any particular RPM. I haven’t paid close enough attention to it to tell you even if I wanted to. No magic here. Mine is an early 2018 and yes. I have had it flashed already.