First Batch of Ford Raptor Super Crew Cabs In!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
Honestly, NO! I love the truck, I knew by my buddies at Ford telling me that the suspension and engine wouldn't change that it wouldn't handle AS WELL as the Super Cab. But that's a DUH. The truck is gorgeous and looks more beefy and angry with the added length. It's one of those, you either like or, you don't. I happen to like it :) Just not from a performance stand point.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
You tall freaks! I am 6' 2" and I am usually the tall one. When I stand next to anyone taller then me, I feel small.

So Aaron, are you disappointed with the Screw?

what you two do behind closed doors is not for the forum public
:********::********::********::********::********:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Honestly, NO! I love the truck, I knew by my buddies at Ford telling me that the suspension and engine wouldn't change that it wouldn't handle AS WELL as the Super Cab. But that's a DUH. The truck is gorgeous and looks more beefy and angry with the added length. It's one of those, you either like or, you don't. I happen to like it :) Just not from a performance stand point.

i think those long ass running boards look awkward.

OP
OP
T

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
what you two do behind closed doors is not for the forum public
:********::********::********::********::********:

I thought the same thing when I typed "the added length makes it look more beefy". Now I think that length and girth does matter.... Or so my wife says.... In a truck that is :naughty:

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
SVT didn't want to do the SCrew from the get go, it messes with the performance dimensions of the truck too much. You have the same HP/TQ traveling more distance for the added length of the truck (Not a big loss by any means), bigger gas tank, more weight, and same suspension formula. The suspension has not been dialed in for any added weight so it rolls more with the truck.

Do you really believe this is true? Because if it is, one should not be concerned with whether to purchase a supercab vs. supercrew Raptor so much as one should be concerned with buying *ANY* Ford. Ford has stated the opposite quite a few times in PR and in specifications. If Ford didn't optimize the spring rates and damping characteristics to compensate for the higher weight (and more importantly moment of inertia), then they're unfit to even be building subcompacts.

OP
OP
T

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
That's where you are not taking in SVT or the biggest part which has very little to do with Ford. Who makes Mustang suspension? Ford. Fushion, Focus, Taurus, Edge, MKX, MKZ, MKS, Flex, F-150? Ford.

Who makes Raptor suspension? Fox. What setting comes with the stock Fox shocks on Super Cab and Super Crew? Setting number 1 of 3. Setting 2 will actually allow the Raptor to be level with the rear without a leveling or front lift kit.

This isn't a jab at Fox, Ford, or SVT. I have too many friends there to jab any of them. It's simply stating a fact. Again, Ford isn't the one tuning the suspension, it's Fox, so it's not "ANY" Ford. Go look at your local Ford dealer, the same suspesion used on the F-150 FX4 Super Cab, is also on the Super Crew. The difference, the leaf spring. Keeping your load in the bed and towing more controlable on road. The shocks and front springs stay the same. Call one of engineers for the F-150, Jim Trussel and he'll tell you the same thing.

This is not saying that the difference between the Mustang 5.0 to the 5.0 Brembo to the GT500 to the GT500 SVT Package is the same. Nor Taurus, to Taurus SHO either. From one truck to another, same from one performance truck to another as well.

Last edited:

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
That's where you are not taking in SVT or the biggest part which has very little to do with Ford. Who makes Mustang suspension? Ford. Fushion, Focus, Taurus, Edge, MKX, MKZ, MKS, Flex, F-150? Ford.

Who makes Raptor suspension? Fox. What setting comes with the stock Fox shocks on Super Cab and Super Crew? Setting number 1 of 3. Setting 2 will actually allow the Raptor to be level with the rear without a leveling or front lift kit.

This isn't a jab at Fox, Ford, or SVT. I have too many friends there to jab any of them. It's simply stating a fact. Again, Ford isn't the one tuning the suspension, it's Fox, so it's not "ANY" Ford. Go look at your local Ford dealer, the same suspesion used on the F-150 FX4 Super Cab, is also on the Super Crew. The difference, the leaf spring. Keeping your load in the bed and towing more controlable on road. The shocks and front springs stay the same. Call one of engineers for the F-150, Jim Trussel and he'll tell you the same thing.

This is not saying that the difference between the Mustang 5.0 to the 5.0 Brembo to the GT500 to the GT500 SVT Package is the same. Nor Taurus, to Taurus SHO either. From one truck to another, same from one performance truck to another as well.

I'm not particularly familiar with Ford's standard suspensions, but on my current truck, a previous-generation GM item, there are literally more than one dozen different spring rates offered in the front end alone. Some of these are produced in increments as low as 1-2%. GM specs these based on the drivetrain, suspension package, length, weight, weight-distribution, and moments of inertia of the vehicle. And being full size trucks, there are a ridiculous number of such configurations. I can't imagine Ford doesn't operate the same way.

Ford PR indicates this to be the case for the Raptor:

Ford PR said:
Applying lessons learned from the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCab, engineers were able to tune the truck to handle off-road events with ease. The 12-inch-longer wheelbase on SuperCrew also delivers the benefit of a more comfortable ride, especially in rough off-road situations.

"We spent a lot of time getting the ride and suspension characteristics of the SuperCrew similar to that of the SuperCab, and we were successful in getting the same character and flavor out of the SuperCrew," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. "While the SuperCab and SuperCrew both have different strengths, each is worthy of the Raptor nameplate."

I'm sure Fox worked a lot more closely with SVT/Ford than is typical given the nature of the truck, but at the end of the day the truck is a Ford and Fox is a supplier/contractor.

All that said, if you're racing and jumping 6 feet in your Raptor, I can understand your strong preference with for the SuperCab. But I'll guarantee you SVT didn't parts-bin the SuperCrew suspension together. That would truly be a new thing for SVT. And unlike GM, Ford seems to understand the value of its premium performance group/brand.

OP
OP
T

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
Over 550,000 configurations of the F-150 for the 2011 year to be exact. None of which are "suspension" specific configurations. They come part of, "Trailer Tow" and FX2 or FX4 which is the Off-Road suspension. No upgraded leaf springs, no choice in shocks or springs. As I said, the leaf springs are the difference. Argue all you like, but at the end of the day the truck does NOT handle like the Super Cab. Same as the Roush is not faster than the Brembo 5.0 in a straight line, and only a hair faster in the corners. Ford will tell you like any salesman what you would like to hear. Believing everything you read is dangerous which is why I'm trying to say in the nicest way I know how, GO DRIVE THE TWO AND COMPARE! Why it's necessary to pick apart what I'm saying when I've been behind the wheel of one is beyond me. You forget, I work for Ford. If I hated the truck, I would lose every contact I have at Ford.

Congrats on your order and when you have your truck, then take your time and peel apart everything I said. Until then, on paper the truck looks great if not better than the Super Cab. But it's not. At last count, 6 Magazines got the suspension travels wrong. 10 had the HP/TQ wrong, at one point, Ford had their own weight, curb weight, and engine specs wrong. Believing everything you read until you actually drive it is more entertaining than the fact that your arguing with me over the same point I'm trying to make. DON'T BELIEVE ME, GO DRIVE IT.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I very much realize there will be a compromise between SuperCab and SuperCrew.

What has me concerned is your suggestion that Ford didn't re-optimize the suspension. Are you only getting this information based on your test drives?

Edit: btw...GM generally doesn't let you spec spring/shock rates any more/less than Ford does (i.e., major suspension packages). The part numbers are certainly different though and have different specs.

Last edited: