First Batch of Ford Raptor Super Crew Cabs In!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What has me concerned is your suggestion that Ford didn't re-optimize the suspension. Are you only getting this information based on your test drives?

Edit: btw...GM generally doesn't let you spec spring/shock rates any more/less than Ford does (i.e., major suspension packages). The part numbers are certainly different though and have different specs.

Cut the first line of your quote out.

I'm a longtime Ford customer and SVT owner.

Fox is simply a supplier and marketing ploy/namesake. Ford/SVT worked with them to spec the shocks to a price/performance point.

That said, having driven a 6.2 Supercab and SuperCrew back to back within 30mins of each other (drove one, then the other, same area of town, same day). To me, the Crew has NOT had the suspension redone in any significant manner. The front end felt dumpy and overloaded in the Crew. It needed to be picked up to the 2nd notch desperately. The Super was ok; but needed it done as well, but was livable. Part of the feel is the longer wheelbase makes the truck a *little* more sluggish overall. It's not drastic, but if you're used to performance vehicles, you notice it right away.

I was surprised that the turning radius of the Crew wasn't as bad as I thought. However, *any* hint of sportiness you may feel in a SuperCab is lost in the Crew.

And IMO; the Crew is due to market demand. Customers want the crew, Ford wanted it because it sells, so they go to the parts bin and grab what they can. The Supercab felt balanced and correct to me. The Crew needs about a 30 to 50# increase in the front spring rates to get the feel back.

And if you're so concerned that they didn't make any changes; why don't you find two VIN's. One for a SCAB, one for a CREW (both 6.2) and get a parts dept. guy to look up and compare the part numbers for the shocks/springs. I bet you'll be disappointed. The Crew is mostly about marketing and sales. The truck will still perform well; but not as well as a SCAB.

Last edited:

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Cut the first line of your quote out.

I'm a longtime Ford customer and SVT owner.

Fox is simply a supplier and marketing ploy/namesake. Ford/SVT worked with them to spec the shocks to a price/performance point.

That said, having driven a 6.2 Supercab and SuperCrew back to back within 30mins of each other (drove one, then the other, same area of town, same day). To me, the Crew has NOT had the suspension redone in any significant manner. The front end felt dumpy and overloaded in the Crew. It needed to be picked up to the 2nd notch desperately. The Super was ok; but needed it done as well, but was livable. Part of the feel is the longer wheelbase makes the truck a *little* more sluggish overall. It's not drastic, but if you're used to performance vehicles, you notice it right away.

I was surprised that the turning radius of the Crew wasn't as bad as I thought. However, *any* hint of sportiness you may feel in a SuperCab is lost in the Crew.

And IMO; the Crew is due to market demand. Customers want the crew, Ford wanted it because it sells, so they go to the parts bin and grab what they can. The Supercab felt balanced and correct to me. The Crew needs about a 30 to 50# increase in the front spring rates to get the feel back.

And if you're so concerned that they didn't make any changes; why don't you find two VIN's. One for a SCAB, one for a CREW (both 6.2) and get a parts dept. guy to look up and compare the part numbers for the shocks/springs. I bet you'll be disappointed. The Crew is mostly about marketing and sales. The truck will still perform well; but not as well as a SCAB.

Most of what you said is correct. Some of us tow more than we go off road. For us, an extra 2000lbs of towing capacity is a huge difference in performance and capability. Plus, the fact that the SCrew is a much more comfortable and usable package is icing on the cake. The first time you try to haul your kids out of the back of a SCab in a tight parking space, you'll be wishing you had a SCrew. Without a doubt, the SCab is the better off road performer. From a practicality perspective and things that matter to most people, the SCrew is the better truck.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Most of what you said is correct. Some of us tow more than we go off road. For us, an extra 2000lbs of towing capacity is a huge difference in performance and capability. Plus, the fact that the SCrew is a much more comfortable and usable package is icing on the cake. The first time you try to haul your kids out of the back of a SCab in a tight parking space, you'll be wishing you had a SCrew. Without a doubt, the SCab is the better off road performer. From a practicality perspective and things that matter to most people, the SCrew is the better truck.

But for us bachelors, stepson's 18 and no plans on getting a babyseat, the SCAB's the truck for me. I like being positioned centrally between the axles :)

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
But for us bachelors, stepson's 18 and no plans on getting a babyseat, the SCAB's the truck for me. I like being positioned centrally between the axles :)

No doubt. If my kids were older, I may have considered a SCab. Even then, the missing 2000lbs of towing capacity would likely have put me in a SCrew anyways.

IH-Scout_800A

Reaction score
I roll around on a 100" wheel base on the scout....The Super cab feels like a bus to me and the Screw feels like 18 wheeler LOL. Hey...It's all a matter of preference. I love the Screw cab 2010 FX4 I have. I think for hauling butt in the desert the Screw is great. If you are going wheeling, the the Supercab might be a little better. But I will bet my last dollar I will never see a Raptor wheeling it in the woods and rocks with our F-150's, Cheby's, Heeps, scouts, etc. If we do, then there is someone with some real disposable income!!!!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I roll around on a 100" wheel base on the scout....The Super cab feels like a bus to me and the Screw feels like 18 wheeler LOL. Hey...It's all a matter of preference. I love the Screw cab 2010 FX4 I have. I think for hauling butt in the desert the Screw is great. If you are going wheeling, the the Supercab might be a little better. But I will bet my last dollar I will never see a Raptor wheeling it in the woods and rocks with our F-150's, Cheby's, Heeps, scouts, etc. If we do, then there is someone with some real disposable income!!!!

Lol - I dont have a disposable income, and my Raptor is my daily driver, but I have played in the trails a bit and look forward to more once the weather breaks. Being almost a foot wider than the Jeeps makes for some tricky navigation at times though...

saleen970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had crew cabs for many years then bought an ext. cab GMC a few years ago..traded it for a crew cab Dodge 6mo. later cause I hated it. As bad as I wanted a Raptor when they came out in 09 I could not bring myself to buy another ext. cab truck.

Im sure my Raptor SCrew will be a great improvement compared to my Dodge Big Horn Crew cab but dont expect it to drive like a SCab