First Aftermarket Purchases?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some opinions regarding what would be the best aftermarket purchases regarding replacing OEM suspension items. Recently bought a used 2017 and I plan on keeping the fox setup for quite awhile. Is it a decent idea to invest in new upper control arms, tie-rods, or anything else you can think of that would help with the longevity of the truck?

I'm not looking to blow 5k+ on a King setup right after buying the truck, but if there is anything you can recommend that might not cost a shit load of mula right off the bat (hard to do on suspension apparently), i'd love to read/see it! Thanks!

Lower control arms are solid, no need to worry about them, uppers would be useful if u drive hard, will help keep your alignment straight. Perhaps some reinforcements to where the lower control arms meet up the frame, some icons or deavers( they rust out quick). And a bump stop kit

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The question you have to ask yourself is how do you intend to use the truck? Sure, you can throw $10k at suspension and have it all decked out, but depending on your usage, it may be more than you need or may not accomplish the goals that you want.

What kind of driving and off-roading will your truck see? Do you intend to tow or haul a lot? If so, how often and how much?

OP
OP
Leftsidej

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question you have to ask yourself is how do you intend to use the truck? Sure, you can throw $10k at suspension and have it all decked out, but depending on your usage, it may be more than you need or may not accomplish the goals that you want.

What kind of driving and off-roading will your truck see? Do you intend to tow or haul a lot? If so, how often and how much?

I’m trying to be realistic with myself with how much off-roading I’ll do. I of course WANT to go often, but realistically? Pry not a whole lot. As in 1-2 a month if I’m lucky, and it would only be local wide trails, nothing crazy.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’m trying to be realistic with myself with how much off-roading I’ll do. I of course WANT to go often, but realistically? Pry not a whole lot. As in 1-2 a month if I’m lucky, and it would only be local wide trails, nothing crazy.

I've vote to get the front end of the truck up to get rid of the rake. Then, experiment off-road a bit and see how hard you drive and what you think you need.

If you start wheeling, let's look at bump stops and Deavers to protect the truck and make the ride more compliant. Then, we can go from there.

OP
OP
Leftsidej

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've vote to get the front end of the truck up to get rid of the rake. Then, experiment off-road a bit and see how hard you drive and what you think you need.

If you start wheeling, let's look at bump stops and Deavers to protect the truck and make the ride more compliant. Then, we can go from there.

I like the way you’re thinking! So start with collars in the front?

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I debated going with just the collars, but decided to go all out and go with Fox front rear setup...along with Camburg uppers and Icon bumpstops. Adding the adjustable Icon rear leafs and new shackles later. Probably an overkill for I’m doing, but ya never know what’ll happen down the road.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty even battle between Icon and RPG, any recommendations? New to the industry so not really sure what the Nike is of the suspension world

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. Biggest question, do you want adjustable or do you want static heigh collars?