Choosing My First Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sreynolds88

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have been searching for a Gen 2 Raptor for awhile and I suddenly find myself with two solid options. Looking for opinions. Both Raptors are 2018’s. Both have nearly the exact same mileage. Both are the 802A package. One is owned by a friend/co-worker who bought it new and has taken great care of it. It’s leadfoot grey, and a Roush edition. The other is a trade in at a local dealership. I test drove it over the weekend and everything was clean and seemed to be well maintained. Not a Roush edition. Has the aluminum oil pan (not sure about my buddy’s oil pan). It’s metallic grey and the only thing not stock is a nice set of black, 17” aftermarket wheels. The dealership is asking $5k less for the non-Roush 2018. Is it worth the extra $5k for the 3.0 Fox live valve shocks that come on the Roush edition? The shocks and the semi-ridiculous Roush graphics are the only real differences I can find in these trucks. There is some comfort in knowing my buddy has babied his Roush edition, so I know it’s history… but an extra $5k?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

2018’s don’t come with live valve shocks, so if they are both ’18’s, the live valves aren’t integrated into the truck, they’re take offs. On the ‘19+ the live valves are integrated into the drive modes.

I’m not familiar with the Roush package but I know they offer a -very- mild tune

If either one does NOT have the moonroof, get that one.

OP
OP
S

sreynolds88

Reaction score
The 2018 Roush package is the addition of the Fox 3.0 live valve shocks. That’s pretty much all the Roush package was on the 2018’s. That and special 20” Roush rims and then all the badging. I was leaning towards my buddies just bc I am familiar with it. Here’s the original sticker from Roush. (I’m shocked that people paid $14k extra for this package new.)0AFE44A6-5A95-45F0-AE23-AE16E24A293A.jpeg

Last edited:

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forget what your friend and the dealer says, check the maintenance record.

Friends truck:
PPI, records, test ride

Dealers truck:
Do not leave without a CPO, PPI, records, test ride

CAR FAX for both. And look the dealership GM in the eyes and tell them, "If I have to come back here for cam phasers, its going to be a bad day for your legs pal..."

DISCLAIMER:
Violence is not the answer.