Fabtech makes it - Outlaw is offering it! 4" SUSPENSION LIFT (WHAT?! RUCRAZEE?!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you two want a lift kit go buy a lift kit. There's plenty of in depth technical expertise here to listen to but it's not going to come out on a lift kit thread. 'Well why not?" You ask. Because the guys who have technical knowledge think a lift kit is the wrong way to go and are all working on pushing their raptors in a totally different direction. Lift kits are seen around here as an "all show no go" item.

I've always wondered if there would be a "discussion" of the "truth" about Raptor suspension mods and real-world use of these trucks. (So far, from what I've seen, I think only BStoner has touched on this in his build thread - I think).

This is as good a place as any to touch on this subject - some thought-provoking comments that you may or may not agree with:

* It's likely that most who drive their Raptors off road are doing so for the first time (the Raptor is their 1st off roader)

* People spend a LOT of money on these trucks and on their mods

* Much of the money (most?) is spent on upgrading what is already an industry-leading, stock suspension

* A driver can get in deep DOO DOO with a stock Raptor driven hard/fast off road (especially if this is the 1st vehicle they've off roaded - nothing makes bad things happen like higher speeds and more challenging terrain)

* An upgraded suspension can get a driver in deeper DOO DOO and do it faster than with the stock suspension

* I believe many who have upgraded their suspensions did so not because they NEEDED it but because they WANTED it

And one conclusion I draw from the above comment is this (blasphemy, I know):

MANY Raptor owners would get the LOOK they want and still get the PERFORMANCE they need from a suspension lift - because they don't off road much or at all, don't off road at higher speeds and/or won't risk damaging their VERY EXPENSIVE Raptor (especially the garage queen and street queen crowd). Of course for those who go out and challenge their stock suspensions (intentionally or not!) the suspension lift MAY not be the best choice.

I'm just trying to get this out there for discussion. So, what do you think?

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An interesting line of thought.
I know most raptors around here, and there's a lot of them, practically one on every block, are mostly stock grocery getters.
The few that are modded are primarily street queens, when they go off road, they are quickly rushed to the detailing shop after...

To counter that line of thought though, it's kind of like building a rifle.
I may not shoot 1000 yards very often, but when I do, I want a rifle that excels in performance, and doesn't merely look the part.
Function before form, so to speak.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
An interesting line of thought.
I know most raptors around here, and there's a lot of them, practically one on every block, are mostly stock grocery getters.
The few that are modded are primarily street queens, when they go off road, they are quickly rushed to the detailing shop after...

To counter that line of thought though, it's kind of like building a rifle.
I may not shoot 1000 yards very often, but when I do, I want a rifle that excels in performance, and doesn't merely look the part.
Function before form, so to speak.

I agree with that, tons of stock Raptors around Alberta just as daily's. Personally for me I didn't want to do to much high speed stuff in mine until I got basic protection (Stage II bumpstops) which I currently have on order. However regardless of offroading hard or not with mine, I will always keep it clean and looking good. I have always maintained my vehicles in an OCD manner, but thats just my nature of protecting my investment (albeit a vehicle is a poor one).

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And one conclusion I draw from the above comment is this (blasphemy, I know):

MANY Raptor owners would get the LOOK they want and still get the PERFORMANCE they need from a suspension lift - because they don't off road much or at all, don't off road at higher speeds and/or won't risk damaging their VERY EXPENSIVE Raptor (especially the garage queen and street queen crowd). Of course for those who go out and challenge their stock suspensions (intentionally or not!) the suspension lift MAY not be the best choice.

I'm just trying to get this out there for discussion. So, what do you think?

I agree with you. And I'm one of those guys that is going to be a street queen driver for awhile...just took delivery 6 days ago. Will it go off-road eventually? Abso-*******-lutely! But am I going to be turning into Tizz and modding to hell and and back or be like whtrpta and really/truly push the limits of my truck? Probably not. (NOT NAMING NAMES, JUST USING EXAMPLES) Will I take it to TRR and hit the dirt at a decent pace, hit some whoops, maybe catch a little hang time? Sure. Will it also drive me to work every day and be my daily driver? Yes. Will it be my weekend warrior road trip truck? Will it haul a bunch of girls to the bars? You bet your ass it will. Call it a street queen all you want...I don't really care. It's my $55,000 truck and I'll do what I damn well please with it. :fuckyea:

I've always loved the look of lifted trucks and this seems like a great product that would allow me to do everything I want with my truck, allow me to maintain the majority of what makes a Raptor a Raptor, maintain my plush on-road ride, and look great. If parking undercover wasn't an issue for me, I'd highly consider adding this kit when I need to new tires because it just looks awesome. My thoughts.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kytann,

My observation was intended to be simplified. I was not looking at bashing either side, I was quite simply adding a simple thought that there are 2 very different approaches.

My reference to "puck and shim" could be used for any lift or level that changes vehicle height through added space over an adjustment in actual suspension length and geometry. It was regarding the approach to raising a vehicle to gain access to a larger tire. Be that through a lift block (R) dropped cross members/ spindles & shock relocation brackets or from the level kit shims.... To me this is the same thing, as It is still the same stock suspension. The added bonus of the "Lift Kit" is the correction of driveline angles once you lift past the manageable level for CV longevity etc..For some this approach makes perfect sense.

I personally will look at boxed upper/lower arms +2 width and a taller tire to achieve true long travel and gain ground clearance.The Raptor is a solid Mid-Travel suspension, but hey its fantastic compared to a stock set up. No its not cheap, but I prefer the extra travel.

Like I said Too each their own. Of the 2 trains of though, I like option 2.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to note: This is not the type of lift kit being discussed. This looks like a completely custom suspension design.
Stock Chevy trucks do not come with solid axles in front, much less that custom multi-link suspension geometry to locate the solid axles.

I know, twas a joke