F250 diesel and F150 Raptor comparison (by owners of both)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily drove a diesel for more than 20 years. I towed a lot more back then too. Ride quality alone is worth the switch, but I would beat my head against the wall if I tried to tow anything with my raptor. It’s a driving truck for sure. I have another truck I use to pull with.

WH7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah neither will fit in my garage. If you had to tow a bit and minimal Offroad, would your preference be a diesel?
Tough question, I have a 5000 lb. boat that the diesel didn't even know was back there. Haven't towed it yet with the Raptor.
But to answer your question, Yes, If I did more towing, I would prefer the diesel.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to tow “a bit” I’d pick the raptor. It also depends on if you’re towing for 20 mins or 17 hours for a trip. I’ve towed 6000 lbs for 4 hours each way (8 total) with a travel trailer and it was doable but not comfortable. If i had to tow that for an hour …no problem. I’d do an F250 if i had to tow that camper cross country.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I currently own a F350 and a Raptor. Two totally different tools for two totally different jobs. a 14mm wrench makes a ****** ball-peen hammer. Look at how many threads are here about "my raptor squats when towing". Pick the right tool for the job.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 F-350 with the Powerstroke Diesel that is about to turn over 300K miles, so you could say I DD it. I just bought a 23 F-350 with the Powerstroke Diesel and 10 speed trans yesterday. The 2017 and on Suoerdutys with the second gen 6.7 diesel are amazingly good trucks and I love driving it daily as long as you have about 1000lb of something in the bed. But yeah it’s just silly to compare a Raptor to a SD.Be forewarned, new Suoerdutys are spendy, but dealers will at least haggle a little on price with current market.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but I no longer do any off-roading, and will soon be towing some decent size trailers for long trips.
Sounds like you answered your question.

I had a couple diesels over the years that I daily drove and they were tolerable. But I was also about 20 years younger.

OP
OP
B

bren5279

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I say tow a bit I’m talking about 8 hour one way trips with a 26’ box trailer.

I know f350s are really rough, a friend of mine DDs one. Not going 350

I actually have a solution for the soft suspension, but it’s the riding while under constant boost 80% of the drive that I’m worried about.

Swaddict

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is my weekend vehicle. I have a F350 DRW F350 diesel that I daily for my work, it's deleted so it's very fun to drive for a big truck. I have a 2024 that just got delivered, only regret with the 24 is that I will not be able to delete that one

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have an older (01 - that I bought new) F250 w/7.3 diesel and a 22 raptor. The Raptor is my DD. The F250 gets used (very seldom) when I need a REAL truck. Both are great when used as intended. :happy107:

RY9MX

Reaction score
I had a 2020 Raptor which I traded on a 2021 GMC HD diesel. I also have a 2022 f150 4x4 2.7 for my work/daily. I'm kind of shopping for another raptor to replace the diesel, but it's kind of hard to justify 2 F150s. IMO, the raptor drives more like a toy than just a big heavy truck like a diesel, it's much more fun. I have a couple trailers that on paper the raptor should handle fine, but in reality, it wasn't that good. I tried the Roadmaster suspension and the full airlift kit with the pump (which I still have if anybody wants it cheap), but it just never towed where I was happy with it. Short trailering, the raptor was good, but more than an hour on the highway was what made me switch.