EZDOWN TailGate Mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well i installed mine today at work in about 13 minutes. very easy cheap mod.

ok guys just a thought what do u guys think, i was thinking about putting one on the other side. thinking it might let it down slower and even easier to push up and less strain on only the one side and piston

any thoughts?

Thought about it too but just seems like a waste of money

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah thats kinda what i thought but its really only $35 and 15 minutes of time so its not that big of a deal. if it was more money or a pain in the ass to install i wouldnt even think about it

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, money no issue... I can see it making the tailgate slower. Honestly, it will not have any added benefit whatsoever since the shock is designed to slow the movement of the tailgate. Long term speaking, it can... Key word "can" prolong the life of the shock, but probably not by much.

Last edited:

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I done this mod about 4 months, and I do like the concept, but Dee Zee needs come up with a better quality hardware to install in the tailgate. When I open my tailgate this weekend the bolt stripped right out and it will not bolt back in, so I just pulled it off and store it for now. I haven't called Dee Zee about getting a replacement, but I will and hopefully they will come through, but I figured they are going to get tired of sending replacement hardware sooner or later.

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is everyone having problems with their EZ down? I had on on my 08 GMC and never had a problem. Had planned on ordering for the new truck but they seem to be having problems.

TT

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is everyone having problems with their EZ down? I had on on my 08 GMC and never had a problem. Had planned on ordering for the new truck but they seem to be having problems.

TT

^^^ same here...

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Here's an update to what I did to fix my rubbing problem with the cable and shock.

Kink on the shock you have to straighten it completely.

Before
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

Then you take 4 washers and place them between the BIG washer and bolt that is supplied and screw it back into place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next install 3 washers in the tailgate bolt and tighten.

attachment.php

Next grind down one side of shock slightly.

attachment.php

The whole point of this write up is for you guys to avoid this.

attachment.php

Now here is a video which might help understand all this better.

EZ-Down Tailgate modification - YouTube

This is my fix to my problem. Didn't want to go out and buy another so I resolved the problem myself and it's been working great. NO kinks!

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the newer style there is no kinking issue. I do however agree that the nutsert sucks and there has to be a better way. I keep tightening mine a little at a time every couple of days but I don't see it lasting long. I'll come up with something better and let you all know when I figure it out.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My bracket on the bedside does not look like that. Mine puts the cable and shock on the same mounting pin, which throws the angle off on the cable.

That picture shows the newer style that was redesigned to avoid the kinking.

Have had mine on for a little while now with no problems.

What was funny is that I had a friend over who is very impatient. He did not know about the EZ down, so when he would open the tail gate he would push on it to make it go faster... :ROFLJest: I couldn't stop laughing inside. I never did tell him why it went down so slow...