EZDOWN TailGate Mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay9722

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez. Simple mod but it took me a long time to get the damn nutsert to open up and lock itself into the tailgate! Thank god for YouTube because reading the instructions they sent would've caused me to over torque the nutsert and muck-up the whole thing. This is a must have, inexpensive addition that you will be glad you bought.

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a nylon washer that fit the size of the hole I made so it will not move around.
image.jpg

Last edited:

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on the Dee Zee this afternoon and I had the same problem with the nutsert. I like some of these elegant solutions, but I used pliers to hold the body while I ratcheted the nut to cause the body to pop out. The slots in the tailgate were perfect in being my 3rd hand. I popped in the allen wrench, a ratcheting box wrench around the nut and pliers holding the brass body. As soon as it started to pop open, I used a rubber mallet to get it back in the hole and fished it up. Also, you'll need a deep socket or crescent wrench to put the nipple on. I only had short/standard sockets so I had to use a crescent. I got it to exactly 8lbs torque... or as close as I could based on feel... which means I just made it tight. lol This was an easy project as soon as I got the nutsert set. That was a pain. I got it (Dee Zee DZ43200) on amazon for $30.

tipnring

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Dee Zee DZ43200 tail gate assist today. I had trouble installing the nutsert. I finally got it installed but the ball mount wouldn't reach the threaded end. I then removed the nutsert. I used the nut (from the nutset tool) & a washer taped to a long screw driver & put it through the opening in the tailgate, lining it up with the hole. I then screwed in the ball mount until tight.

The rest of the install went smooth from then on. It works great. Time will tell if it holds up. I bought it on Amazon for $32.09 with tax & free shipping. I see they have them on sale now for $28.50.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Such a nifty device should be installed stock from Ford period.

Dont let YER' Meatloaf