EZ Down nutsert problem SOLVED!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

It wasn't loose, it was completely out, I just stuck in to take a pic. Is the nutsert the ball or the part that is in the tailgate, it seems a tad loose too. Definitely going to do that mod it seems and go get some touch up paint.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Maybe TRR had something to do with it....

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have never had an issue, Knock on wood.

I think the key is to apply the loctite and close the tailgate and let the loctite dry before opening it again. The prevents the ball stud from backing out due to the rotational friction of the rod on the lower ball

D

Deleted member 12951

I must be the only one who has never had a problem with this. I have had both the 1st and 2nd gen/version of this EasyDown. No problem with either one. Knock on wood.

I had 1st gen on my previous F-150, no issues. This one is slightly different so assume its the 2nd gen.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

The nut sert is in the tailgate, it doesn't need to be tight. Throw some Loctite on the treads and screw it back in. It should be fine.

That is what I did...

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I also have never had an issue, Knock on wood.

I think the key is to apply the loctite and close the tailgate and let the loctite dry before opening it again. The prevents the ball stud from backing out due to the rotational friction of the rod on the lower ball

That is what I did when I installed it the first time.

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have an issue with the side that the assist is on not quite going all the way down so that the weight of the tail gate is still a little on the rod and not the cable? I noticed that on mine the other day when it was down so it's actually kind of tweeking the ball in the nutsert up a bit, like the rod isn't quite long enough. Nutsert is still tight though.

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody have an issue with the side that the assist is on not quite going all the way down so that the weight of the tail gate is still a little on the rod and not the cable? I noticed that on mine the other day when it was down so it's actually kind of tweeking the ball in the nutsert up a bit, like the rod isn't quite long enough. Nutsert is still tight though.

Mine did that for a little while. Now that it has been on there a few months it goes down all the way fine. Maybe it just needs time to brake in.

Fathom

Reaction score
My local O'Reilly Auto Parts had the longer studs. Showed the original to the guy at the counter who went to the back and retrieved a bag of 2. I believe they came with nuts too. I would recommend that you also install the pop n' lock auto locking device at the same time, after all you're in the same neighborhood.