Extended Warranty - Yes or No??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
When I sold warranties on motorcycles in PA they had 100% markup. So if the warranty was 500, actual cost was only 250 and 250 was profit. EBay kinda killed that though with random dealerships selling the same warranty for 300. Also, who cares If the dealer makes money, dealers need to make money to stay in business. So on the dozens of people who buy warranties and don't use them, yes they are making money. But the Raptor isn't just a focus and the people I know using the hell out of their warranties are also the people using the hell out of their trucks. I also know a bunch of people who wish they would have bought the warranty with this truck. Moral of the story, every vehicle is not equal and if you are going to off-road your off-road truck get the warranty. If your dealer is giving you a hard time find another. How about you ask the Houston guys if there is a good Raptor dealer before assuming that there just isn't one in any big city. We had a good one in Omaha, not that I'd classify that as a big city, but Ironman is in Detroit. I'm sure there is a great dealer somewhere in Houston, you are just letting past experiences on very different vehicles and generalized financial advise cloud your judgement on a very specialized subject.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
thanks for making me figure out how to spend even more money... lol

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptorwifey, I am telling from all of my experiences and many others. Dealerships do not have good prices and for the most part have people lower quality techs and people working there. Especially in relation to specialty shops. They have to work on every ford car ever brought in. How many models is that? These are specialty vehicles and should be taken care of by people who know them better. We can agree to disagree, but if you think a dealership is the best place for your Raptor with regards to service, parts, and knowledge, you are mistaken for sure. I am just trying to help people out here who are new. The dealership is not the place to go unless you know someone really well and check the credentials of who is working on your truck. Finally, you mentioned people using their warranty because they are tough on their truck, you are telling me if tear off a skid plate, or blow something out because of hard use, they replace it no questions asked? I do not believe it.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Your making a lot of assumptions about what I may or may not be saying based on telling people to get the warranty. The fact that you don't understand the difference between ripping parts off your truck and wearing parts out with use tells me that you are not who I'm talking about here. But yes, blow out your power steering pump 8 times and it will still be covered. No need for me to go into what all was covered under warranty on our truck, you can find that information easily enough on this forum, just read Yukon Joe's posts. My truck is still under my factory warranty, so we obviously haven't used our extended, may never as she is my grocery getter and won't see hard offroading. You can also find the kinds of things Iron man and others have had covered as well as basically finding out the weak links on your truck that you may be paying that specialty shop their specialty rate someday to replace. We can definitely agree to disagree, but helping the New people is also what I'm trying to do. You say no warranty and all dealerships in big city's suck. I say yes warranty and some dealers are great. You say specialty shop only, I say these shops don't exists everywhere (seriously, find one within 50 mile radius of oak island NC) and not everyone has unlimited resources. So again we will agree to disagree and the new people on this forum can make their own choices based on everyone's input here.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealership in Tampa (Elder Ford) sells and installs lots of Roush accessories and seems to have very competent technicians. I would not hesitate to take my Raptor there for any service, in or out of warranty. It was one of the reasons I decided to purchase my ESP. I knew I'd have someone to take care of me for the next 125000 miles.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what and how warranties work. What I am saying is that conventional sound financial advice is never get warranties on anything. It is proven that the majority of extended warranties DO NOT ever get used. That is why they sell them at dealerships, and you get all those in the mail all the time. Because companies who sell them are making money on them. It is a numbers game. The consumer is not winning this battle. This is not a Kia you are driving, it is a well made machine. Could stuff break, sure. If having a warranty makes you sleep better, get it and I am happy you like it. Everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves. The bottom line here is that considerably more people will buy an extended warranty and never use it, than ones who do. That is a fact. If you are ok with those odds, or cannot afford repairs if they occur, then maybe it makes sense for you. It is odd that someone who spent 60k on gas guzzling beast would be worried about repair costs, but Ok. I will say as I said before, and you verified, if the dealership is the only place around and you are in more rural areas, maybe that is the only choice. And because of that, they may have the best mechanics around. I certainly believe you and zboater. I am talking about the majority here, both on the warranty, and dealerships: There are a lot more bad ones, than good ones, and warranties never used vs ones that are. Everyone must choose their own comfort level in playing the odds.

D

Deleted member 12951

I wish I had unlimited resources. I bought an ESP 7yr/125k for not really peace of mind but just in case, my mind would of been fine either way. I might be looking hard at a 2018 and the ESP does help resale a little, would think more so on a Raptor than a Focus.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt there is equity in the warranty, just not full value at time of sale. They are like pools in your yard. They are really just for you, resale not so much. You wont get your the full value out it, unless you use it. I hope everyone who buys a warranty gets to use it. The odds are just not in your favor.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You make good points. I personally would rather never have to use it. Yes, $1700 "wasted". Although for me it is peace of mind. If I get to "use" it, that means my truck failed for $1700 worth (or more) of expense. I see it as insurance. If I never get to use my health insurance or homeowners or car insurance, I'd be happy as a clam.

But boy am I happy I had those when I needed them....