Extended Warranty - Yes or No??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did LOTS of mods to my truck and my dealer still covers most everything.

DING - DING - DING!!!

We have a WINNER!!!

My local dealer (ALSO) will allow for mods and utilize the ESP.

Know your dealer - don't abuse your dealer ONLY for warranty work - trust your dealer - take it to them for little things - oil changes - tire rotations - etc - they will work with you. Ask your dealer's opinion prior to doing mods. If they know you're doing it ahead of time, they will most likely ok it but provide you with their opinion.

Don't be an ******* to your dealer. They'll shut you down in a heartbeat! No Ifs/and/butts

Know when to give a little and know when to take upper hand and hold it till they give...

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Read It - It's good information

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I did LOTS of mods to my truck and my dealer still covers most everything.
Same here... In fact Night Raptor is in the shop right now getting all fixed up. We try and save up the little non important stuff for when we actually do need something fixed as the dealer only charges us the $100 deductible per warranty work visit, not per item.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do this for a living. (At a Chevy - Cadillac - Subaru Dealership - And I drive a Ford RAPTOR (NOTHING LIKE IT ON THE MARKET - PERIOD!!!)

I will tell you 1 of 3 things will ALWAYS happen. No matter what!

1. You purchase your Raptor and you purchase an ESP (for whatever length) - Nothing ever breaks - Are you going to be happy with your Raptor? YES.

2. You purchase your Raptor and you purchase an ESP (for whatever length) - You have a few failures but the ESP covers them (minus your chosen deductible) - Are you going to be happy with your purchase? YES - You've had a couple of unexpected mishaps but Ford has taken care of thank God.

3. You purchase your Raptor and decide that they're "Built To Last" and nothing ever should go wrong. When one day your LED Display goes kaput. Then a few more things go on the fritz. You pay to have them fixed. You're now down a grand or two. You're pissed off and you remember back to this exact discussion and regret NOT purchasing that ESP. Sucks right?

Dude, for the piece of mind, do it. You'll never regret it. I'd love to tell you that this rig will never break but I'd be a liar! These are built well but that have 70+ computers built by THIRD PARTY companies that don't give a shit what happens after Ford buys them from this company.

You do what you want but ONE repair may pay for itself. Your call. Do what you want. A definite quality investment.

Think about this - $1200 - $1500 for a ESP - That works out to around $1/day. You'll blow that on ONE MOD!!! That's a piece of mind that I'm not willing to risk for this quality machine!!

DON'T THROW YOUR MONEY OUT THE WINDOW! YOU'VE BUSTED YOUR ASS TO AFFORD THIS AWESOME MACHINE! WHAT THE HELL IS $1,200 IN THE EVENT ONE THING GOES WRONG. THAT'S JUST PLAIN STUPID AND ASNINE. IF YOU'VE GOT THAT MUCH MONEY YOU CAN JUST THROW IT AWAY LIKE THAT - GOOD FOR YOU BUT IT'S STILL STUPID.

Rant over...

IMO - It's worth EVERY penny.

Back to Option #1: You've already forgot you purchased the ESP on the vehicle even though it never broke, didn't you? That's my point.

Last edited:

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will qualify my statement in this way. Large city dealers suck most of the time. That is who I have dealt with over 8 cars here in Houston. Maybe dealers in small towns or where there is only one around are different. Makes sense. I have owned 8 cars, Toyota's, Ford's, Chevy's, Subaru, etc. Never once did I have an issue while under warranty, and very few issues until 75k in mileage. Do you think dealerships give good deals? They would not sell these is they didn't make money on them. It is just like insurance. They are playing the numbers game. There are a lot more who never have an issue than do, and they can fix them cheaper now. That is the way they make money. If it makes you sleep better, get one. Do my research? You go do yours and you will find that every sound financial book or advisor will tell you to never buy extended warranties on anything. If you have a great relationship with your dealer, awesome. Just don't think there are very many in the big cities. I know there are not very many in Houston. I have a close personal friend who is the finance manager at the largest dealership in Texas and he tells me once you buy it, don't ever bring it back unless under warranty. Maybe things are different in other places.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, do you go to buy aftermarket products from a dealer? No way. Everything is overpriced because of all the overhead they have. I hope you would not go there for people to work on your trucks either. Do you think the best mechanics and techs work at a dealership? Never. They work at specialty shops where they make much more money. If you want to trust your truck to some just out of tech school guys making $12-15/hour have at it. These are specialty trucks and should be treated as such. Take them to people who understand them and understand high end products. Or you can go to the guy who works on Ford focuses, and fusions all day and then sees one raptor a week. Majority of folks do not take their trucks to dealerships for work, and for good reason! Again, maybe small towns are different, but I doubt it.