GEN 2 EXTENDED WARRANTIES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are any of these worth a poop? I and alot of others are outside warranty with no option at "ford" are any aftermarkets worth buying? Approx cost? Im at 68K miles.

@FordTechOne said it very eloquently.

I’ve lived the experience. I’ve had no extended warranty, Ford ESP, Subaru extended (wife’s car) and an aftermarket Allstate warranty. I don’t buy them for everything, some cars / trucks I want to modify, others I want to keep for a long time and put away miles.

My ’97 SVT Mustang lost a cam chain tensioner - the oil pressure wouldn’t actuate the tensioner. The car started, and ran fine over about 2100 rpms, but idled like cr@p, and it was obvious something was wrong. However -- wait for it -- It wasn’t throwing any codes. this is the car I had the allstate warranty on, and the reason that I believe, like @FordTechOne, that you should get a factory extended warranty or none at all.

Like he said, the first thing allstate did was demand all service records. I had them. 2 weeks later, they sent an inspector, who noted the car was lowered - true. Denied. The mechanic told the guy right then and there, “suspension has nothing to do with the symptoms this car has”. Escalate to underwriters, 2 weeks later, they authorize up to $1000 for tear down and analysis. Then the inspector returns, finds something he doesn’t like in the engine bay. Process repeats. I’m now 5 weeks into this repair and the engine is broken down to it’s components. This does not go well. Nothing looks out of spec, etc. It takes 3 times through for them to find the bad tensioner - a part that cost less than 70 bucks.

I got out of there for about 1500 bucks, for a failed 70 dollar part. Had I not gone to this performance shop, I’d not have had the advocacy from the mechanic against the warranty inspector. Both times he told the inspector “I will testify in court, free of charge for my customer that this denial is unwarranted and the items you’re flagging are completely unrelated to the failure. I’m a 20 year ASE certified Ford master technician, how about you?” Funny thing is that he’s the same guy who missed the failed tensioner twice after the tear down. In retrospect, I’m pretty sure it was easy to miss.

Time down for the repair was almost 4 months.

Not saying this can’t happen with a factory warranty or ESP and especially with performance vehicles that we like to modify, but, I had mods on my Lightning - not a lot, but a few. When the AC compressor failed like 6 or 7 years later, Ford ESP covered it with my $50 copayment. No drama.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend OEM factory extended warranty hands down for consistency.

Too many variables for third-party. We have MaxCare on one vehicle because it was inexpensive and I took the calculated risk—as I don’t foresee major end items such as powertrain going south. We stick with OEM factory extended for everything else, as far back as I can recall.

Killjoy

Reaction score
ESP on our 2012 from new to 127k miles and they have covered nearly $30k in work over the years (we take it offroad often so it was well worth it). Now we are finally in the last version of extended warranty with Ford that was offered (I think it was called CSP or something) and it was way too much cost for coverage but I feel like the ESP's were completely worth it. Added to my new 2020 GT500 for 8yr/100k miles for only like $3k.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right I think they are worth it too on certain vehicles, the wife's Explorer has one and we plan to keep it a long long time. So, it will be nice to have a 100k mile warranty.

Tomhorn

Reaction score
Flood ford in RI have nothing on 14 trucks flawless bought extended and full maintenance on 19 because of all the computer ******** flood was awesome and ford dealers its seamless and they help u out with everything

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A transferable Ford factory extended warranty will add value if you ever decide to sell.

Two identical Raptors... Close mileage.... But one has the extended warranty. Which one are you buying?

metaphysician

Reaction score
I had an Assurant exclusionary warranty (they call out the things they EXCLUDE from warranty, everything else is covered) on a 2010 BMW M5. Boy was it worth it. Paid for itself within the first year and had very little issue with claims. It covered a transmission from Germany, flywheel, door handle, antenna, headlight, and a trunk gasket with subsequent water damage to an electronic module. I think the biggest pushback they gave me was when the keyless proximity lock sensor in the door handle failed. They had to replace the door handle but wanted me to pay to paint it. I pushed back and said their repairs needed to cover returning the part to OEM spec, including paint, and I won.

Generally I don't think warranties are worth it and I'd rather just set money aside for when something breaks. But for the right car, it can be worth it. I would get some estimates and divide the cost + any deductibles across the duration you plan to keep the truck and see if you'd rather set that money aside yourself each month. Also check if it's transferable and if you can get a refund if you sell the truck before the coverage ends.

RAPTORZIN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have GEICO, they offer Mechanical Breakdown insurance. This coverage is only available for vehicles with less than 15,000 miles that have been purchased within the last 15 months. Extremely inexpensive ($55/yr on my Raptor), with a flat $250 deductible.

MBI does not include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and lining, brake shoes and tires (includes tire wear and/or tire damage). Breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

I've had it on every Raptor I've owned, although I've never had the opportunity or need to use it.

DLU

Reaction score
I did the aftermarket warranty CARCHEX by American Auto Shield 6/100K, knowing i had about 8 months left on dealership warrenty. Was half the price of Fords offer. Haven needed to use it yet knock on wood. Did it for piece of mind but after talking with dealership they never heard of the company. May have been sold a lemon but hope too not have to find out anytime soon.