Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rapidredOMF

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue. Seems to only rattle when I auto start the vehicle from distance. It also seems to go away after a few revs in park before I move. I attributed things to the cold weather around freezing point here in Nova Scotia.

I haven't contacted the dealer yet, as it's fairly inconsistent and doesn't seem to persist past the first few revs. If it gets worse I feel like I should have things looked at, but for now I am just rolling with it.

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try actually owning a new Tundra, I did. Truck had more problems in one week than I've had with 5 years of Ford's (Not a Ford fanboy, they work), so I actually speak from real world experience. And my Raptor isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than my $76K 2022 Tundra was.
this is actual good info. Unlike the other guys talking shit being low IQ. What was up with your Tundra?

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I don’t want to give any false hope here, so take what I’m about to share for what it’s worth….

I dropped my Raptor off at the service dept yesterday for the 10k service along with some issues that need to be addressed. One of the items was the exhaust rattle on cold start. I printed out the service bulletin, showed the advisor, and let him know that I understand there is no fix available yet but want it to be on-record so that when the fix becomes available I can get it done.

A few hours later he called me to give an update and told me that he has the part on order to fix the exhaust rattle. I was surprised and figured he just ordered a new muffler (which we know is only a temp fix at best) but he said no, that he ordered an updated valve.

I don’t have the truck back yet, most likely will tomorrow. And again, no idea if this is the actual fix for the dreaded rattle or just an attempted bandaid. I will update you all once Im able to talk with the advisor more and have the truck back to see for myself.
whats done for a 10k service on our trucks?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is actual good info. Unlike the other guys talking shit being low IQ. What was up with your Tundra?
1. Tundra had bad window seals which led to cabin sound level above 90dB at 70 mph and mirrors cause whistle (poor aerodynamics)
2. Rear Window rattle
3. Bed bolts loose, led to excessive bed rattling over bumps (with the window too)
4. Infotainment freezes and randomly shuts down, doesn't come back with restart, required battery disconnect (no dealer diagnosis)
5. More rattles and squeaky plastic than a toy store (center console was unbearable)
6. Toyota Connect would forget profile and reset all user data
7. Toyota Connect subscription required for remote start services on a $76K truck
8. Fuel economy was 15.5 combined over 3000 miles with no long idle warm ups or anything (garaged always)
9. Hybrid battery pack takes up 50% of rear floor space severely limiting storage space
10. Almost forgot, power seats stopped working entirely after 3 months of ownership

Truck had some great qualities too, but a long ways from being a flagship production truck at this time in my opinion.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hilarious. Article from a year ago that was sorted within 2 weeks. Meanwhile on my raptor the headlight flickers, exhaust rattles, stereo cracks and pops... and Ford has done nothing about it. Maybe you're the brainwashed one? Ford was supposed to come out with a fix for the embarrassing exhaust rattle 3 months ago.
They’re still having the same wastegate problems along with plenty of others. You insinuated that toyota is somehow better because of “quality”, which is a fallacy.

Headlamp flicker is a software update and the exhaust rattle is being addressed with a service fix. Neither are detrimental to the operation of the vehicle, unlike the Tundras with the bodies lifted from the chassis to install replacement turbos. Stop drinking the Kool aid and understand that all vehicles have issues. And I’d much rather have an updated muffler actuator installed than 2 turbochargers requiring body-off replacement. Or the numerous other significant quality problems the new Tundras have had.

Last edited:

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I don’t want to give any false hope here, so take what I’m about to share for what it’s worth….

I dropped my Raptor off at the service dept yesterday for the 10k service along with some issues that need to be addressed. One of the items was the exhaust rattle on cold start. I printed out the service bulletin, showed the advisor, and let him know that I understand there is no fix available yet but want it to be on-record so that when the fix becomes available I can get it done.

A few hours later he called me to give an update and told me that he has the part on order to fix the exhaust rattle. I was surprised and figured he just ordered a new muffler (which we know is only a temp fix at best) but he said no, that he ordered an updated valve.

I don’t have the truck back yet, most likely will tomorrow. And again, no idea if this is the actual fix for the dreaded rattle or just an attempted bandaid. I will update you all once Im able to talk with the advisor more and have the truck back to see for myself.

maybe see if they can print you an updated tsb with a new part #, might give a hint as well if they implemented a fix on the assembly line.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested on what the redesign or fix is, I do not have the exhaust rattle (knock on wood) but weird some do and some don’t.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re still having the same wastegate problems along with plenty of others. You insinuated that toyota is somehow better because of “quality”, which is a fallacy.

Headlamp flicker is a software update and the exhaust rattle is being addressed with a service fix. Neither are detrimental to the operation of the vehicle, unlike the Tundras with the bodies lifted from the chassis to install replacement turbos. Stop drinking the Kool aid and understand that all vehicles have issues. And I’d much rather have an updated muffler actuator installed than 2 turbochargers requiring body-off replacement. Or the numerous other significant quality problems the new Tundras have had.
Please elaborate on "service fix" for the exhaust

LedFootRaptor

Reaction score
maybe see if they can print you an updated tsb with a new part #, might give a hint as well if they implemented a fix on the assembly line.
Will do. I picked up the truck yesterday as the parts for the exhaust rattle and shock absorber replacement wont be here until next week. The paperwork they gave me yesterday doesn’t have PNs for those two items, but once o go back for the install, I’m sure the updated paperwork will.

I’ll get more info next week.