Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my gen3. Something under the truck is rattling on a cold start - either the exhaust on a hangar bracket or something in the exhaust itself. Seems to go away once the truck is warmed up. Any common issues here to know about?

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my gen3. Something under the truck is rattling on a cold start - either the exhaust on a hangar bracket or something in the exhaust itself. Seems to go away once the truck is warmed up. Any common issues here to know about?
I have noticed this on mine randomly also. I have not looked into it too much. Kind of sounds like a metal clinking rattle.

katchup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere it’s the valves in the exhaust and ford gave the guy a new exhaust.

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck did that intermittently for about the first week or so. But I haven't noticed in about 2 weeks. I wonder if it's something that will just work itself out...?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you cycled through the exhaust modes? Sounds like the control valve may need to be initialized by cycling it.

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the noise is present initially on cold start, goes away once the idle drops, but then is still present under acceleration and load at low speeds (and probably at high speeds but I can't hear it anymore).

Definitely sounds like a rattle or just something loose. I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious. It does seem to be coming from the valve area or the muffler canister right near it, but it is hard to tell.

I have tried the different exhaust modes and can hear a difference, so I think the valve is doing something.

RPsG2Rap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggest looking up the many many Gen 2 cam phaser videos on YT and see if its the same sound bc this has been an ongoing issue

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, my Gen 2 has this. Dealership has never been able to find it. Sounds like an exhaust bracket or something, and it goes away after 5-6 minutes of warmup.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your G2 it’s probably waste-gate rattle. I think the valves do make some noise on initial start up on the G3 but it goes away pretty fast. I do have a rattle at idle when fully warmed up on occasion. I believe it’s a loose heat shield so I’m going to have it looked at, this might also be the cold start rattle that we are hearing. The rattles are different but that would happen with different vibrations based on RPM.

Wayne Gaba

Reaction score
I have had the same rattle for the past six months in my Gen 2. Brought it into dealer 3 times. Removed old heat shield, put new spacer washers in all the skid plates still same. Last time dealer said baffles in my after market Borla exhaust were the cause, Borla sent me a brand new exhaust system within a week under warranty. Cost me $ 200.00 to switch out and STILL HEAR IT!! WTF driving me crazy.